Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HELP! My 4mo old is on a strike and has never taken to bottles

Unhappy HELP! My 4mo old is on a strike and has never taken to bottles

My 4mo has had two bottles in her entire life both of which (BM)shortly after birth. Other than those 2 times I am a stay at home mom so I always just BF her. This last week she would randomly throughout the days just decide she didnt want my breast. First it was every now and again, now its turning into a more and more frequent issue. Today she went 7 hours before she latched on for a very short period of time and then pulled off screaming. I've tried diff positions, side lying and football but none seem to work for her. I even pumped some milk and tried it myself to make sure it wasnt funky, but it seemed fine to me. I'd give her a bottle but after spending about $50 on nipples and bottles I cant get her to take to any bottle( nuk,playtex naturalatch,avent, soothie). She eats fine at night but even when she is drowsy during the day she will refuse to eat. She just had her 4mo chk-up with the pediatrican so I know she isnt sick. At what point should I be seriously concerned? She still has wet diapers and some poop though not as frequent. Any ideas? Im starting to get very worried and frustrated.
    Stay at home Mommy of:

Robbie 9/12/06 BF for 1yr 1 day
    Samantha 7/9/08 BF from birth and still counting

Default Re: HELP! My 4mo old is on a strike and has never taken to bottles

At that age they start to become easily distracted which makes them nurse less often. It can be alarming, but if her diaper output is good I wouldn't worry about it. I had to try numerous things with DS at that age and the only thing that worked was a completely dark room with a loud air cleaner on to drown out any outside noise. The sudden change in his eating habits were shocking because DD never did that, but I just kept an eye on his behavior and diaper output and realized he was just fine. And he also nursed more often at night to make up for the smaller and less frequent nursing sessions during the day. Is your LO doing that?
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln

Ill try that tomorrow. I havent thought about less distractions at all. Ill have to report back. Its 1030 pm right now and everyone is sleeping but me since this is baffling my mind. thanks for the suggestion.
    Stay at home Mommy of:

Robbie 9/12/06 BF for 1yr 1 day
    Samantha 7/9/08 BF from birth and still counting

How many total times during 24 hours is she nursing? Something that sometimes helps to keep in mind during a strike is that some babies go all night without nursing, so one long stretch during normal waking hours can be okay if overall they are nursing enough. Is she fussy in with the strike? Is she sick or teething?

If you do want to give her expressed milk, using a bottle might make the strike worse. You can use a small cup (like the kind you give medicine in), a spoon, dropper, or syringe. Here's some info on how to use those methods. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/a...e-feeding.html
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.