Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8 day old throwing up....

Default 8 day old throwing up....

You would think I know it all by now as this is my second baby. My newborn vomitted last night after feeding. She actually nursed twice.... the second time was more for comfort, but I have lots of milk so the breast always gives her milk. I chalked that time up to getting too much milk due to comfort nursing. But she vomitted again tonight about 10 mins. after a feeding, and I'm wondering if she is just getting too much milk??? She did gain 10oz in 3 days at her weight check!!

Default Re: 8 day old throwing up....

Congratulations on your new baby! I can remember being a second-time mom and thinking I would remember everything...but we forget!

Some babies do just spit up a lot-even breastfed babies. But some do it for specific reasons that can be corrected, such as oversupply (as you suggested). Babies who are dealing with an oversupply of milk do characteristically gain weight very quickly. According to LLLI's Breastfeeding Answer Book "If the baby who is having trouble coping with his mother's mik flow is gaining significantly more than two pounds per month, it is likely that the mother has an oversupply." It is hard to say, though, if she is going to continue at the rate she is. But you can do the math-if she did, she would gain more than two pounds!

Does she gulp milk?
    Is she fussy and gassy?
    How are her BM's?
    How long does she spend nursing?

It could just be a fluke, but if she continues, you might want to consider oversupply. Let me know how it's going!

I do think the problem is that when she comfort nurses she gets milk where really all she wants is too suck. The last time I even gave her the same side thinking it would be empty, and she still got milk. She does gulp at the begining of the feeding, my son did this too... I have a fast letdown, but as he got older he could keep up with it. Luckily, she isn't fussy and not to gassy. She does hiccup, even after I burp her. At night when she doesn't comfort nurse, she nurses every 2 or 3 hours and nurses a good 15-20 mins on a side and she's good to go. So my "plan" is to try limit her comfort nursing until my breasts figure out that we don't need this much milk.

The spitting up is probably more of a laundry problem than anything else. LLL recommends that all of baby's sucking needs be met at the breast. Since it seems as though you may have an oversupply issue, you can always try to block feed. This is a good remedy for oversupply, although oversupply issues will generally correct themselves by about the 3 month mark

Babies have a need to suck, whether it be for comfort or for food. Some babies' need is more intense than others but if baby isn't overly upset by getting milk when all she wants to do is suck then continuing to allow the comfort nursing is a good plan

I will still let her comfort nurse, but just try not to let it happen 10 mins. after a feeding.... unfortuntley it's not just spit up, it's actual throwing up. So I just think her little tummy gets too full.

So what Carol mentioned might be helpful in downgrading your supply a little: Most moms start out nursing on only one side for every 2-3 hours. That is: anytime baby needs to nurse during that time period, do so only on one side. Then for the next block of time (2-3 hours) have baby nurse only on the other side, etc. What this does is slows the production down in both breasts. Most moms notice a difference by 4-7 days. During this time you may need to express from the side not being used to feed the baby just enough for comfort, to soften breast but no more. Be cautious of plugged ducts and mastitis. {Taken from LLLI Breastfeeding Answer Book} and personal discussion with Kay Hoover, IBCLC.

I have a lot of interest in this topic and discussed it with Kay, who is also an LLLL. She is known to be an "expert" in the area of oversupply and Rapid Milk Ejection. She has stated in that past that these are the babies that do actually have a need to suck on a pacifier, because they are not getting their sucking needs met at the breast, as they get their milk so quickly. This is a tough one. La Leche League does not recommend the introduction of pacifiers at such a young age. You may want to consider waiting on this, but knowing there are breastfed babies who really need the additional sucking might be helpful knowledge for you.

As Carol said earlier, some spitting up is normal, but vomitting is not. I can see how this would be worrisome for you! Keep in mind that it is normal for mothers to produce more than enough milk for babies the first 2-3 weeks. So this could change.

HTH,

Thanks,
    I did have some what of the same problem with my son too, although he only threw up once and I figured out he couldn't handle both breasts in one nursing session.... so he was always a one boob eater.. LOL I do remeber the leaking stopped after a couple weeks with him, so I'm sure the same will happen in this case. Knock on wood, no more throwing up today and I figured out if she needed to comfort nurse, she seemed to handle extra milk about 30 mins. after a feeding.... I did do the one side thing as you described. I'm sure the breasts will figure it out soon.

Here's a great trick I found to ease your mind about the volume they're spitting up.

Get two ounces of water and pour it on a burp cloth, then try it with just a tablespoon. You'll find that what you're seeing come out of the baby is not nearly as much as it looks, and you don't worry quite so much.

My baby is one of the wettest I've ever met. She's always spitting up, drooling, or leaking through diapers, and she goes through around fifteen wet diapers a DAY! And that's often several pees in one.