Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long until single side feeding relieves symptoms of oversupply?

Default How long until single side feeding relieves symptoms of oversupply?

My daughter will be 4 weeks tomorrow and her fussiness has been getting worse and worse over the past couple of weeks. She's also had green poops and a bad bum rash which appeared earlier this week. After googling green poop I read some info which led me to believe that she may be reacting to the dairy I was eating, so I stopped eating dairy on Tuesday morning (this is Thursday night). That seemed to help yesterday, but today she's very fussy again!! I've recently found this article about oversupply, and others like it:

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/oversupply.html

We have many of the symptoms listed there (she clamps on my nipple often at the beginning of each feed, I'm always full, she's a noisy nurser, I have sore nipples, the green poop, bum rash - which is not listed there, but I've seen elsewhere can go with oversupply, there have been some VERY short feeds - 7 minutes, lots of spitting up and passing gas, and of course the fussiness - high-pitched cry, pulling legs up, inconsolable even when holding and rocking, etc). This is my 4th time bfing, the shortest length so far being 10 months and I've never had a baby this fussy! It's heartbreaking and also very stressful for our whole family.

So maybe I jumped the gun on the dairy thing - the article even says:
    "The infant behaviors described above are caused by these issues but may frequently be misdiagnosed as colic, lactose intolerance, milk protein allergy, reflux, or hypertonicity (stiff muscle tone)."

Anyway, my questions is this - how long does it normally take for the symptoms to improve once you start feeding only on one side at a time? I've been strictly feeding one side only for just 2 feedings now and haven't noticed any improvement. What's a realistic timeframe for the gas resulting from too much foremilk to be reduced?

I got fed up after learning all this and she was still VERY fussy so I gave in to the milk craving this afternoon. I think I'll cut back some, but until I've eliminated oversupply as the cause, I don't think I'll eliminate dairy completely. Do you think that makes sense?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer. I just want her to stop hurting!!!
    Heather

Default Re: How long until single side feeding relieves symptoms of oversupply?

It took about a week of block feeding before I saw improvement in my lo. With dairy, I've read that it can take a month for it all to leave your system so you would have to wait a while before you saw improvement from that (and also you would have to eliminate all forms of dairy, not just milk). I would keep trying the block feeding and reassess in a week.
    DD (7/23/08) self weaned at 17 months
    DS (6/20/10) nursing like a champ

hows babies weight gain been?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*abbymom View Post
    I would keep trying the block feeding and reassess in a week.
    Thank you for the hope, I can hang in there another week! Also, I agree about waiting to stop dairy - thank you again! (It's sad how much I love dairy, but I do!!)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    hows babies weight gain been?
    At birth: 7lb2oz
    At 7 days: 7lb5oz
    At 20 days: 8lb8oz (19oz gain in 13 days)
    She's 28 days today but I haven't had her weighed again.

Is this consistent with oversupply, do you think?

Thanks.

Green poop can also be a symptom of a foremilk/hindmilk inbalance so make sure that she is draining each breast before switching to the other one.
    Mama to Brooke as of 9/8/08, trying to successfully & when I need to!

My lo was a huge gainer too, I think the most she gained in a week was 9-10 oz! Have you checked out kellymom.com? They have a list of symptoms of an allergy, its a way to cross check with what your lo is experiencing to put your mind at ease. You can also get info about oversupply and various nursing positions if you have OALD. My lo didn't have any symptoms other than gas, fussiness, things like that which is why I worked on the OS/OALD theory instead of the dairy allergy. That and I like dairy products too, I would be lost without cheese and yogurt!
    DD (7/23/08) self weaned at 17 months
    DS (6/20/10) nursing like a champ

I started to feel less full from the block feeding after about two weeks, but the problems continued at night when I get extremely engorged. My son is 19 weeks now and I am finally noticing some reduction in supply at night (I still am very full though). I would continue with the block feeding before I gave up he dairy.