Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New bedtime/drop feeding?

Default New bedtime/drop feeding?

Hi my LO is almost 4 months now and has been sleeping through the night since about 8 weeks old. I am having trouble figuring out his nightime feeding pattern as it seems to be changing on me and I need some advice or tips from anyone who has been through this.
    Our old routine was that I'd get home from work around 6:00 pm and nurse him anytime between 6:30 and 7 pm and then nurse him again around 9:30 or 10 then put him down for the night. But lately he has been getting so sleepy and even falls asleep around 8:30 ish. I have been waking him up to nurse at 9:00 ish and then put him back to bed where he sleeps until about 7 the next morning. Do I need to drop the last feeding? I tried that ONCE and I had to get up to nurse him at 5 am which isn't great now that I am back at work. it could have been coincidence, but I don't know if I want to risk it again. I am so worried that if I drop this last feeding 1.) my supply will go down and
    2.) that he'll wake up hungry in the middle of the night. Help!
    The last week or so, I have been feeding him regularly at the 6:30 or 7 feeding and then feeding him just 2 or sometimes even 1 1/2 hours later even if he isn't really hungry, but he is usually asleep and I have to wake him up. I hate to do that. Does anyone have any advice or been through something like this?

ps I also posted this on the sleep forum, but I thought I'd put it here too JIC.

Default Re: New bedtime/drop feeding?

I actually have a very similar schedule to yours. My DD is now 6 months old, but she was sleeping through the night at an early age too. And, around 3 or 4 months, she decided that she wanted an earlier bedtime as well. So, I nurse her around 6:15 or 6:30 as soon as I get home and settled, then I get her ready for bed around 7:15-7:30 and then nurse her to sleep around 7:30-7:45. My DD likes to nurse to sleep at bedtime and naps, so it works well for us. And, it has not effeced my milk supply at all, nor did it lead to an earlier morning awakening. BUT, I should tell you that things do change over time. At around 5 months old, my DD started waking between 2-3am for a feeding and that has continued most nights. But, I nurse her in bed, and it doesn't have much of an impact on my sleep that way. So, I guess my advice would be to nurse him as usual at 6pm and then nurse him to sleep around 8:00 or 8:30, rather than waking him at 9pm. Try it for the first time on a weekend night so that, if he does wake early in the morning, it won't effect your work day. Good luck!
    Mommy to Baby K, born 5-13-08 after 30 hours of labor and a c-section

Pumped for 30 months

3 years of breastfeeding and counting!!!!

I'm a (breastfeeding) (vegetarian) mama!

Thanks so much. It really helps to talk to someone who has been this. I am starting to learn about motherhood that there isn't one "right" way to do it. But I think that can also make it frustrating. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*stuartjr View Post
    Thanks so much. It really helps to talk to someone who has been this. I am starting to learn about motherhood that there isn't one "right" way to do it. But I think that can also make it frustrating. Thanks again.
    There is never a right way. Only the right way for you, your baby, and your family. I say do what works!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

That is a lesson I think I am slowly learning. I am constantly looking for the right answer and there isn't one! No book to turn to to tell you exactly what to do. It really is a struggle to figure out what works, because it is just trail and error. I guess no one ever said this journey was easy. That is why I love this site, you can get advice and tips, and mix it in with your own experience and come out with a solution.

Just follow your lo's cues. Let that motherly instinct kick in.

Their sleep schedules change so much. As soon as you think you got things figured out, they change again.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!