Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milk Supply Dropping-HELP!!!

Unhappy Milk Supply Dropping-HELP!!!

Hey all...I have a (almost) 2 month old who was BFing mostly since week 2/3. He was born premature and had to use a bottle (from pumped BM) at first. I hadn't had a problem with my milk supply yet since my son learned to latch on, and when I do have to pump, I usually pump around 5oz. When he takes the bottle he usually eats about 3oz. I went back to work this last week which has been stressful for me all around. Now all of a sudden when I pump I can only get 2 ozs. Also usually he only feeds from one side at each feeding, and now he switches back and forth from both. I am afraid he eventually isn't going to get enough...I don't even have enough milk for a day while I am at work (can't use anything I have stored yet due to it being pumped before we found out he had milk allergy)...Is there anything I can do to get my supply back? Any advice appreciated!!!!

Default Re: Milk Supply Dropping-HELP!!!

• oatmeal
    • fenugreek
    • mothers milk tincture
    • lots and lots of water
    • pumping 10 mins after the milk stops
    • power pumping (one hour hooked up to the pump, pimp ten mins wait ten mins pump ten mins etc)
    • dont stress about it (I know this one is basically impossible but try yoga or meditation
    • skin to skin contact (wearing your baby while youre both nakid (ok you get to wear pants)
    • water - its that important I am putting it in twice...

My list there are others
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Hi mama, and

First off, how old is your LO now? How preemie was he? Was he in the hospital? I so, how long?

It is very common for supply to drop when you go back to work. Mine totally did. What kind of pump are you using? Are you currently using any supply supplements? (fenugreek, oatmeal, etc.?)
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Thanks, I will try some of these!

He is now 7.5 weeks, was 5 weeks early. He only had to stay in the nursury for a week. I am using the Medela PIS advanced ( I always double pump and wait minutes after milk flow stops before turning it off). I am not using any supplements right now, and I have to look at ingredients of EVERYTHING before trying...I'm on elimination diet right now since ds seems to have some major food sensitivities. no dairy, soy, wheat, egg, caffeine, tomato, citrus, etc...

I have to go now mama but I will be back tomorrow with more...
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Something no one ever told me until I was onto my 3rd lactation consultant was to make sure as soon as your milk stops when you are pumping to push that "let down" button. Most moms can get more than one let down per pumping session.

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

So basically just starting all over again?? Did that seem to help? That's def. good to know, I think I'll try that this next time around, see if it works for me.

About oatmeal, should I try like a bowl a day, or just eat lots of it? ( that's the only thing I have on-hand at the moment ;0 )

Durham girl - can you describe that more to me? ? what is the let down button? I can only get one let down per pump, but always feel like I could get more if I really tried.

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Your PISA has a "face" with the two attachments for the tubes and to the side of that the suction knob, the let down button and the power cord place. I have the backpack but I think the shoulder bag is the same.

When you start up the pump it has a fast swush, swush noise after about two mins it switches to a much longer rhythim. That fast swush is the let down cycle. As soon as you let down push the button and you will get the longer noise. This is the efficient pump cycle. as soon as it stops flowing, push the let down button to get the swush, and hopefully your milk going again. Repeat for as long as you have a pump break. Even if it doesn't flow again, it is better stimulation to increase your supply.

Hope this helps.

Also, your baby is helping to increase your supply by eating from both sides, the more he sucks, the more you will produce. Baby is usually number one most effective supply enhancer. Also, you may start making more at night and less in the day as your body gets used to being with baby at night and away during the day. As long as lo is getting enough overall it doesn't matter when he gets it. Check wets and dirties (as well as weight gain)

Family beds are awesome