Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hurts like the early days

Default Re: Hurts like the early days

i came on today to post this same question... It is dd is 11 ms and it is like she is biting, but not, more like her top teeth are digging in when she nurses. i have seen her teeth indented into my skin when she is finished nursing too.

karen, is it only when she nurses to sleep? b/c that is when i notice dd doing this more too. I wanted to tray and pry her mouth open a little more and see if she needed a deeper latch, but when she is aleep she is not up for me pulling her off... i'm not sure what else to do either

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*knm626 View Post
    karen, is it only when she nurses to sleep? b/c that is when i notice dd doing this more too. I wanted to tray and pry her mouth open a little more and see if she needed a deeper latch, but when she is aleep she is not up for me pulling her off... i'm not sure what else to do either
    It seems to be constant for her, not just when nursing to sleep - although that's when it bothers me the most. It was slightly better for us this morning. I found that if she tucks her chin down to her chest at all while nursing, that's when the pain gets super bad. So today I have just been very careful to position her so that her head is not tucked down. It's really hard to reposition a stubborn 10-month-old though.

Sorry to hear that you are going through the same thing - it sucks, doesn't it?
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kaitlyns.mom View Post
    Sorry to hear that you are going through the same thing - it sucks, doesn't it?
    it makes me cringe... i noticed that it is more when she is tired/sleeping but not all the time... i think the biggest problem is that tinny teeth are very sharp!!!

Don't worry mama, you're not alone!

12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

Just my personal experience -- this happened to me with both my kids when they first got their top teeth. I even ended up with scabs where the skin was broken a little at a time.

I don't know why it changed (perhaps their teeth were worn down a little as they used them for eating and weren't as sharp?), but it did go away and I nursed comfortably for quite a while after that.

It helped to change positions a lot so that their teeth weren't always in the same place (like on the scabs! ).
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Thanks Karen for the optomistic outlook that this won't last forever

tonight dd nursed right to sleep and i didn't even know she was there...

12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

I don't know if I've got the positioning down right or what, but it hasn't really been hurting for us today either!
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.