Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one??

Default Am I the only one??

I know this isn't a PROBLEM, and that it doesn't mean anything is wrong, just wanted some ideas. Basically, whenever DS is almost done on one side, that whole breast will itch HORRIBLY! My legs even twitch because it's so bad sometimes and I can't scratch it.

I'm sure some, or maybe most, of you have this happen too, but what do you do to deal with it? Sometimes it is so unbearable that I will have DS switch sides before he's completely done, and I am worried that might mess with supply on one side or the other.
    Jorie
    Mother to Cullen Micheal, Oct 8, 2008 7lbs 2 oz

1 Month: 9lbs 8oz!
    2 Months: 10lbs 6oz!
    3 Months: 12lbs 13oz!

Default Re: Am I the only one??

The only time that I"ve had any problems with my breasts itching was when my baby and I had thrush. It wasn't an issue with the entire breast either, just the nipple and a little bit of the areola.

Maybe someone else around here can help you more.

Sorry.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

No, it isn't thrush, and I guess I should mention it ONLY itches at the end of his nursing. As soon as he detaches, the itching is gone. My mom said maybe it is just a feeling I get when that breast is almost empty, which seems to make sense, but I am not sure because she only BF'ed me a few weeks, and that was 21 years ago!
    Jorie

Your mom could be right. I remember when I first started nursing my entire chest would itch when I'd have a let down. All those nerves in there are doing something totally new and flooded with hormones. I think it takes them a while to get used to it. It will probably go away soon.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Okay, I understand what you're saying now. I had that feeling too when I began nursing, and what dd would unlatch it would go away. I know exactly what you are talking about, just felt different than "itchy" to me.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

i only feel like that when i'm really full and need to pump-nurse
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

i only feel like that when i'm really full and need to pump-nurse
    When I'm full, it feels more like someone is pushing a HUGE needle into my nipples, its a sharp horrible pain but goes away after a couple seconds. It just definitely makes me stop whatever I am doing!

I know exactly what you are talking about, just felt different than "itchy" to me.
    I guess I could imagine it feeling like something else, maybe tingly? All I know is when I feel it, I want to scratch that entire breast and I just spend the last few minutes of DS nursing praying that he is finished.
    Jorie

It would make me feel like I wanted to itch the insides of my breasts. It will pass. They only time I feel like that anymore is if my baby is going through a growth spurt and is cluster feeding.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

This happens to me too. And my armpits get itchy.

You definitely are not alone....although until I read this I never put two and two together. It happens every time we nurse lol!
    Sarah Wife to Michael Mommy to Austin and Steven and Tristyn 1/30/10!