Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Medicine & breastfeeding

Default Medicine & breastfeeding

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this.

I was diagnosed with possible Lymes disease. The drs. want me to take Cefuroxime Axetil (500 mg, 2x day for 2 weeks) just incase I have it. I found on websites the medicine is okay to take while breastfeeding. Our pediatrician & my lactating consultant said it is okay, but some will get in the breast milk.

My baby is 8 months old. I am still nervouse breastfeeding him while on the med. One dr said if I want I can store my milk and then give that to him while pumping & dumping. I'm still unsure about that. It will be a lot of milk to store in the freezer, if there is room. I feel the stored milk won't be fresh & it will be exhausting to give him a bottle, then pump & dump each time. But, I'm also scared that my baby will be getting some of the medication, and he's so young. Also, what if he gets a reaction from it.

I would love to get other opinions or, if someone else had this same experience, what they did. Should I partial feed and give partial stored milk? Or just bite the bullet and still feed from the breast every time so he gets fresh milk? I did start giving him solids at 6 months so he only feeds about 5-6 times a day.

I am not one to take medication unless absolutely necessary. I do need to act on this quickly, in case I do have lymes, so it does not get worse. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by @llli*alibaba; November 13th, 2008 at 11:03 PM.

Default Re: Medicine & breastfeeding

You mentioned that you have read that it is safe to take this medication while breastfeeding, but that you're still unsure of whether to do it (or hesitant to). Is that because you don't trust the source of information?

I'm not sure where you found the information on the drug's safety, but if you are an Amazon.com member you can search in Thomas Hale's "Medications and Mother's Milk." Doing a quick search it appears that Cefuroxime has a lactation risk category of L2 and is poorly absorbed orally. It's half-life is only 1.4 hours. If I were taking it I might nurse, take the pill and then wait to nurse again for 3 hours, assuming a lot of the drug had passed through my system by that point.

That said, I'm not a doctor or a chemist and if you're concerned you should discuss it with your pediatrician as well. Personally, I wouldn't bother with pumping and dumping for an L2 drug.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Default Re: Medicine & breastfeeding

have you talked to your local leader?
    she could find more info for you!
    Good luck.