Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still so frustrating

Default Still so frustrating

My son is 7 weeks old, and nursing him is SO frustrating!!! He gets so mad and frustrated so easily, he thrases around, arches his back, kicks his legs out, and its driving me nuts, its as if my BM is poison!!!

He is getting lots of milk, he has at least 8 wet diapers a day, and usually 1 big poop.

Why does he get so mad?? Does it get easier? Are there any tricks to make him nurse easier? He is constantly on-off-on-off, how can I keep him on the breast? I have SO many questions lol!!! Will this get any easier, I was told " 6 weeks is th magic numer" hahah, not for us, we are still sruggilng, I dread feeding time..... ITS SO HARD!
    He is also Colicky, cries SO much, I am at the end of my rope!

I didn't nurse my Daughter at all, she is now 2

A little info on us,

DS born 6lb 5oz NOW wieghs 10lb 3oz
    Nurses every 1.5 - 2hrs

Default Re: Still so frustrating

I know how you feel!! DS is a little over six weeks and he thrashes around too! He doesn't thrash around every time though. I'm thinking it must be gas pain, because when I sit him up and burp him he usually let's out a huge belch. Sometimes he doesn't belch though and it makes me think that maybe he's just not hungry but wants to pacify. I dunno ....I'm just as in the dark as you are though. I guess as long as they're getting fed, right?!

Check this out mama...it sounds a lot like what you have going on...

Good luck!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    I was about to post that link myself, but nolies.mama beat me to it.

If the problem is forceful let-down/oversupply, the problem should even out in not too long. Not only should your supply even out, but as your baby grows bigger and stronger he'll be more able to deal with a fast flow of milk.

Thanks! That seems like it might be the problem, and I thought maybe I wasn't producing lol, but all those symptoms match our problem. I am going to try the block feeding and see if that helps.

OMG, if your post doesn't sound like my son Heatley!!!! I even had to read it to my husband.. LOL... Heatley used to so badly, thrash, and kick and latch on and off so so much, it was ridiculous. I cried so much because I couldn't figure it out. I hated (yes hated) to think i had to nurse him and he'd get that way, it was such a bad time. But as other posts had said, I learned that most of the time it was because he had to burp or he was frustrated because he wanted to suck on something that didnt fill his mouth up, so in popped the paci. And, all was better.
    Carrie
    Mom to Heatley born 08-22-08
    9.2#'s - 22 1/2" long

I had the same problems but with undersupply - luckily your LO is gaining just fine so that's not the problem. Either way, it will get better. Given time you will both find your equilibrium and BF will get to be what everyone always told you it was - a wonderful - comforting - almost spiritual experience. I know you don't believe me right now (I wouldn't have) but it will get better.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

durhamgirrl is right. It does get better. It took about 3 months for me, but now it's a lovely thing, and I look forward to nursing her so we can have some quiet time together. People always say that this age or that age means something, but it's different for everyone. I hope you're doing ok. I remember sitting in a chair trying to feed Lilly at 3am and just crying because she wouldn't feed or sleep or do anything but cry, and it was so frustrating- like you I started dreading it- but then it did get better. I hope it happens for you and remember you've done a great job already this past 6 weeks!
    Proud mummy to Lillypig, in love with my best friend and partner, Batfink
    One year done, and still going strong.

Yeah the time frame is actually 6-12 weeks. If you are very lucky it gets better at the 6week point. But for some Dyads it takes longer. Closer to 12weeks. Hang in there. As long as you are getting enough in the way of diapers your milk IS FINE. OALD can be hard at 1st but you guys will figure it out.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    Another

I had the same thing-screaming,thrashing, general discontent. Every day I thought was the last for BF It took a little while, I think things really got better around 10 or 11 weeks, but it did get better. Heck, now DD likes the quick delivery and gets ticked when my let down finally slows a little and she acually has to do some work

Hang in there.
    Megan
    Karina Abigail-born 8/2/2008

Made it a year!! Here's to a long and happy BF realtionship!