Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Should I be concerned about my milk supply?

Default Should I be concerned about my milk supply?

Hi ladies! I'm new here, but was hoping you could help.

I have a healthy 4 month old boy who has been nursed exclusively since he was born. He is a chunky boy and very long, so I am sure he is getting enough, but sometimes I get paranoid.

He pees alot, but sometimes won't poop for a couple of days. He also sometimes lately only nurses for like 3 minutes on one side before he starts crying for me to put him on the 2nd side. And then sometimes after the 2nd side he still cries. Usually he will calm down and burp for me or take a nap.

And the main reason I am worried that I may not be producing enough milk is that I got my period back a few weeks ago and wonder if the hormones are affecting my supply. When he was about 2 months old I could pump and get like 2-3 oz from just ONE side. Nowadays I don't pump regularly, but the few times I have pumped i only got like 1 1/2 oz from BOTH sides. That worries me.

He sleeps through the night and my breasts are always very full by morning and he eats it all up. I feed him on demand the rest of the day which is usually every 3 hours.

I know there are suppliments out there to help, but I don't want to be dependent on those if I don't need it. Am I being paranoid or do you think I may not be producing enough? What should I do?

Default Re: Should I be concerned about my milk supply?

Hi and welcome! It sounds like he likes the faster flow of your letdown then gets frustrated. Maybe try breast compressions to help your milk come out a little faster?

Your hormones could be affecting your supply, it's pretty common. Does he seem less satisfied all the time or just when you're on your period? If it's all the time and just started recently it could be a growth spurt. If it's just during your period and/or ovulation then you could do simple things to boost your supply. A lot of women, including yours truely, have a lot of luck just eating oatmeal. I'll eat a bowl or two a day depending on how low my supply is.

Also I'm sure you've heard this, but pumping isn't a good indicator on what your baby is getting. He is more effecient at emptying your breast then the pump is. So the fact that you get less while pumping could just mean that he's eating more at a faster rate.

That's all I have, not very helpful I know. I'm sure someone will come along who has better advice. Keep up the good work mama!

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

I eat a big bowl of oatmeal every morning. I notice a drastic difference.

Pumping is not at all a good indicator of how much your baby gets like pp said. Pumping also takes practice. If you pumped more often like you did before, you would probably start to get a better output.

I think that it sounds like you're doing great! Keep up the good work.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

It sounds like you, your baby, and your milk supply are all doing just fine.

Many breastfed babies slow down their bowel movements to every few days after a certain point. Their digestive systems mature enough to digest breastmilk very thoroughly, with little waste left over. So long as your baby is a) gaining weight, b) having a bowel movement once a week, c) having plenty of wet diapers, and d) feeding on demand, everything is in the normal realm.

And the main reason I am worried that I may not be producing enough milk is that I got my period back a few weeks ago and wonder if the hormones are affecting my supply.
    Some (But not all) women notice a dip in supply when they get their periods back. But if you nurse on demand, your supply will bounce back to normal very quickly. It's not like your period returns and then your milk supply slowly and irreversibly dwindles away- that's an old wives' tale, rather like "Milk goes sour in the breast during your monthlies."

When he was about 2 months old I could pump and get like 2-3 oz from just ONE side. Nowadays I don't pump regularly, but the few times I have pumped i only got like 1 1/2 oz from BOTH sides. That worries me.
    This sounds totally normal to me. In the early weeks/months of nursing, many women overproduce milk, which would explain why you could pump 2-3 oz of milk from just one breast. After a certain point in time (Different for every woman), your milk supply adjusts to meet your baby's needs very precisely, without a lot of extra left over. So long as you nurse on demand (Noticing a theme here? ), there is no need to worry about your milk supply. You can just let your baby regulate it- if he needs more, he'll nurse more often and drain you more thoroughly, and that will increase the amount you're making. If he needs less milk, he'll nurse less frequently and leave more behind, and your milk supply will decrease to meet his need.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"