Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please Help-So Stressed

Default Please Help-So Stressed

My daughter is almost 6 months old, and we have been doing really well with breastfeeding. She hasn't started on solids yet. A week ago Monday, she had runny stool with a strong smell. Then, after two days of that, her stool became green with mucous. I called my doctor and the nurse said that was normal. I have been feeling very uncomfortable about this. She seems to be feeling well, eating, sleeping, etc. However, today she has had lots of blood in her stools, and it's still green and mucousy. Has anyone had experience with this?

BTW: I am going in to see the dr, but not until 3 pm, and I am sitting at home stressed. So, I thought I would post and see if anyone has similar stories or can reassure me!

Thanks!

Default Re: Please Help-So Stressed

May be an allergy. I'll let someone else chime in about that. Don't know much about it. Don't stress too much!

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Green poop is a sign of a dairy sensitivity. Not sure if that is something that would just occur suddenly though. Hopefully an allergy mom checks in.
    or have you eaten anything you dont normall eat, causing a reaction perhaps?

Is there a lot of blood? How much would you say. Jelly-like?
    Of course blood is scary to see. I have read that small small bits of blood is usually okay. But its good you are going to the dr just to rule out any illness.
    Does she have a rash? if so, maybe that is irritated, causing blood?

Is she teething? Teething causes yucky poo too.

just trying to help figure this out for you, sorry for asking a lot of questions!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Thanks ladies! I haven't eaten anything out of the ordinary. I wasn't sure that a milk sensitivity would strike all at once, after 6 months. But, I don't know much about it! She hasn't shown any other signs of teething. No excessive drooling, no fussiness, etc.

The amount of blood was startling to me. It was definitely jelly like, because of all the mucous. And, her poor butt is very sore, becuase she has been having a stool with EVERY diaper change. I think I forgot to mention that, she has been pooing about 6 or 7 times a day, which was a huge change for her. She had been pooing every other day, or sometimes going a little longer.

I have tried letting her stay on one breast to make sure she is getting hindmilk. She is eating more often, but that could be her 6 month growth spurt. ARG!!!

I have no idea where this is coming from!

okay this sounds gross, but maybe you should save a diaper for your Dr to see so he can see that it must be something more than what they think.
    I really dont have any answers momma, but hopefully you will figure something out at the doctors today!
    Good luck, and keep us updated!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

I agree! Maybe you should take a soiled diaper to the doc so he can see exactly what's going on.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

Thanks guys! I was going to take one in, but she has been pooing so much she will probably have a BM while we are there! I will let you know what I find out. Fingers crossed, I am just being a paranoid first time mom!

You are not paranoid, just a loving mother.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

The frequent poops sound like a stomach virus. She may have a case of gastroenteritis caused by a bug. Maybe rotavirus? (note, I'm not a doctor) But it would just seem weird that she's doing fine tolerating milk and then all of sudden that all changes. The more likely explanation seems to be a stomach bug.

Poor baby! i sure hope she feels better soon.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Thanks everyone for your support. After seeing my dr, she is sending us to a ped GI to figure this out. Hopefully, this is just a virus and it will run it's course and be done! Thanks for all the support!