Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping enough for a five month old

Smile pumping enough for a five month old

Gavin is breastfed but will be going to the sitters for the first time tomorrow. He will take a bottle, but I am not sure how many ounces he will need to get him through from 7am to 3pm. Any suggestions??

Default Re: pumping enough for a five month old

How many ounces are you getting when you pump? How many feedig do you normally do at home during those times you said he will be at the sitters? You can either divide your expressed milk up (one pumping per feeding your missing) equally, or what I did when my DD got around 5 or 6 months was this...

I nursed right before I left, then my dd liked to take a small bottle about 1 1/2 hours later like 3 ounces. Then for her next morning feeding I did a bigger bottle like 5 ounces. This would take her through a longer period. The next bottle would be 4 ounces and the last would be 3 1/2 which she sometimes didnt drink. I did this for a year, and I was gone from her from 7:15-4:00 every work day. I hope this helps.

Little advice...if you have any frozen, just take some to the sitters to have in the freezer, so if your DS gets hungrier than anticipated, the sitter can dethaw some quickly under warm water and give to DS. Just remember to take an empty bottle.

Take care.

megan

Just wanted to add that it may take a while b/f you know how much your LO will need while you're gone. I went back to work 2wks ago and the 1st few days DS hardly ate anything. He was eating just enough to hold him over until I got home and then we marathon nursed the rest of the day. Each day after that he has taken a little more from DH while I'm at work. He's 18lbs; and took about 8-10oz over the 8hrs I was gone the last couple of work days.

Do you have a freezer stash? As the PP said, it would be good insurance in case your LO goes through the fresh bottles you left for him.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

thanks! I get roughly 4 ounces when I pump but I am home all day and usually only pump in the AM, so once I start work I am hopeful that I will get more milk. I do have a frozen stash to take to the sitters.

I usually pump/send 12-15 oz.
    Margaret and
    DS 2/06 nursed x1yr
    and DD 3/08, so far so good!

Hi,

I agree with all of the previous advice (and it is great to see another baby Robert on this thread!). The rule of thumb is to send about an ounce to an ounce and a half for each hour the two of you will be separated. If you nurse when you drop off the baby you'd send less. When my DS was 5 months I'd send 4 4-oz bottles to cover 10-11 hours. He wouldn't always drink all four.

Good luck!