Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I'm here....... now what?

Default I'm here....... now what?

So DS is 12.5 months now, and my Doc released me this morning to return to work FT on Monday so now what? do I have to pump when I return to work? what do I send to the sitters for DS? one bottle, two, Sippy cups? he uses a siippy at home with water and ice chips but it's messy at best, I have a few bottles of BM in the freezer, we've been nursing on demand at home for the past month...

TIA
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Default Re: I'm here....... now what?

Okay, what is your schedule like exactly? What times will you be away from S and what is his normal nursing/eating schedule? Also my DS is the same age as you know and I am pump weaning. Do you want to pump as much as possible or is S good with solids, etc.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Congrats to you for making it a year!!!! And for having to go back to work FT.

I'm like Jenna I pump weaned right at about 12.5 mos, but it depends on whether you want to have the bm to give him while you are gone. Nora stopped taking bottles around that time and just ate solids and drank water and eventually cow's milk while she was at day care. But if you want to be able to keep giving him BM to brink- whether in a bottle or sippy you can keep pumping at work. Either way you will probably want to pump for at least a little while and wean off slowly to get your body used to producing less milk during the day. That way you won't get engorged/plugged ducts/mastitis.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

my normal schedule will be like this:

6:00-6:30 wake up and nurse S in bed both sides (usually like 40 minutes)
    7:30-8:00 drop him off at sitter's house
    5:00-5:30 pick S up at sitter's house
    6:00 nurse both sides at home - he usually nurses off and on alot between when we get home and bath time
    7:00 dinner followed by more nusing bath and finally bed

his normal schedule the past few weeks has been like this:

wake up nurse both sides
    play
    poop
    eat breakfast
    nurse to nap about 2-3 hours of napping
    wake up
    play for a few minutes
    maybe nurse for few minutes?
    lunch
    play
    snack
    Nurse for a good while at about 5:30 - 6:00
    play
    dinner
    nurse
    play
    bath
    nurse
    bed

if he takes a short nap he gets another morning snack

before i took leave i was sending two 6 oz bottles a day and he would sometimes drink one, sometimes drink both, sometimes only half the second one...i was also pumping twice a day, but it takes me like 45 minutes to get a bottle so this was a big deal with my boss, i'd love to pump wean but not if he needs the bottles KWIM?
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Okay, well it seems like he will only miss 2 nursings at most. You and I have the exact same schedule, so I am down to one pumping session at 12-1pm. Therefore I send 1 bottle to DC. We are transisioning (sp?) to all sippy cups/no bottles. I can usually pump 4-5 oz. So DSs day at DC looks like this

6am wake up and nurse both sides
    7:30am drop off at daycare
    8am breakfast with water in sippy
    10am-snack w/ diluted juice or water
    nap-usually 45 mins
    12:30 lunch
    2pm-breast milk then nap until 3:30 or 4pm
    sometimes has an afternoon snack-water always avaiable
    5pm pick up nurse right when we get home
    6:30pm dinner with water
    7:30pm bedtime nurse

I just cut down to 1 pumping session I had been doing 3 max and cut down to 2 for a month. Now I'll do ix per day for a while as it's not totally bad. When I feel like it I'll cut that out and I figure he will nurse about 3-4x a day.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

He doesn't necessarily need the bottles nutritionally speaking. Assuming you are planning to keep nursing him when you are together? But he may need them for a little while to transition. Or he may not. At this point, he's not really used to getting BM in a bottle so it might be easier to not reintroduce a bottle, but to leave a sippy with the sitter. What you put in the cup is another decision. Does he drink cow's milk at all? If you don't want to have to pump, you could start introing cow's milk or just make sure he gets plenty of water during the day and plenty of calcium rich foods. Nora didn't drink cow's milk for ages, but I wasn't worried cause I was still nursing her. They kept offering it at day care and eventually she started drinking it, but she still doesn't drink it at home.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

sounds good ladies!! I think I'll send one bottle a day for a while and see how we do, i'll pump on my lunches and see how that goes... I think He'll take it easier than I will

how sad is it that I wanted bad news at the doc this morning... i wanted more time at home I kept hoping he'd take his first steps while i was here with him....

we haven't tried cows milk yet but I drink a half gallon a day, it's an addiction of sorts...
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

sorry mama it's very hard at first! but I try to remember that it makes the time we have together very special
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

I agree take it slow with the pump weaning. Let your boss know that the end is coming soon. I eliminated 1 pumping every couple of weeks but I didn't have pressure from my boss. I also started sending bm in a sippy cup with an empty clean bottle for the sitter to transfer my milk to if ds was too upset or wouldn't go to sleep without a bottle. (they never used the bottle).
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

sounds like you have a plan.

Kimberly Mommy to Landin and Avery

------------------------------------------