Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BF and Getting Pregnant

Default BF and Getting Pregnant

My husband and I want to try to get pregnant again soon but I am still BF. I don't want to stop yet but I was just wondering if anyone knows what the chances are that it will happen if I continue to BF. I haven't gotten my period back yet either. If it doesn't happen until I stop BF...that's fine too but I was just wondering what your experiences were with this. Thanks.

Default Re: BF and Getting Pregnant

Check out the fertility section, lots of threads in there about the same thing.

Good luck, *trying* to get pregnant is exciting and a lot of fun.

We're in the same boat. How old is your LO?

My DS is almost 18 months. No AF. I'm taking a few herbal supps to try and get AF to come back.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

well now, i "thought" it would be very difficult!! we tried for 2 and a half years for Lucas, our first, when he was 6 months old, he developed a uti, and didnt feed so well for a few days, and a few weeks later i had my first period back..so this was midd augest, and nothing since, wasnt worrying about it, knew that they could be irregular when they came back, and he was back to normal feeding anyway, started feeling sicky and horrible a few weeks back, thought i had a bug hanging around too long..but asked dh to pick up a pregnancy test on way home, so i could go to gp and say im definatly not ( instead of them doing one and then waiting over a week for result, having to go back etc!!!) and surprise surprise it was positive!! ive now had 3 positive test results still in shock and not sure ill beleive it till i have my scan, which is on dec 2nd, and if you go by my kast period, which my midwife is, ill be 16 weeks by then!! altho im not sure im thatg far along tbh, will have to wait and see...if i am tho, i only found out i was pregnant at 11 weeks!!
    Samantha ---- Mom to Lucas, born 19th Jan 2008..and Georgia, born 8th June 2009
    Lucas 8lbs 1oz born at 42 weeks..now 27lbs at 20 months....bf exclusivly till 10 months then partly till self weaning at 17 months
    Georgia 8lbs 12oz born at 39+4 now 14lbs 5oz at 14 weeks...bfing going strong despite a shaky start

I got pregnant the second month of trying and we were still bfing quite actively, though my daughter was 18 mos and AF had returned long before. How old is your LO? It is pretty common for your milk to dry up during pregnancy so if you have a particular goal you want to meet as far as bfing your first baby, you may want to wait until you reach that goal before you start really trying to get pregnant.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks for your input. My LO is 10 months old and I am not rushing. I would like to nurse until about a year but I am afraid that it will take a long time for me to get pregnant. (It took longer than I had hoped the first time around.) I guess I'm just going to wait until my LO is a year and hope for the best. Thanks again.