Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Could drinking milk be the cause of baby's green stools?

Default Could drinking milk be the cause of baby's green stools?

hello, i am the proud mommy to my 2 month old. i am bf exclusively and have noticed my baby has consistent green stools. my doctor wants me to stop drinking milk. dr thinks baby is intolerant to the protein in milk and believes this is reason for baby not sleeping through the night. baby also has mild case of cradle cap and dr prescribed cream that contains sulfur to massage onto baby's head. its been one week since i stopped drinking milk and baby still has green poop. i have yet to use the cream as im afraid of the sulfur content. i also bought milk called lactaid, is this a safe alternative because it is yummy . any advice?

wife to detective mom to 18 yr old lady and starting all over with jr

Default Re: Could drinking milk be the cause of baby's green stools?

Hi there!
    There are many mummas on here who will be able to better advise you about the lactose intolerance. From what Ive read this can be quite common, and it can take weeks to notice an improvement after you quit dairy.
    Is you bubby gaining weight? How many stools a day? Are they frothy? Do you have an over supply, overactive let down issue?

As for the cradle cap< I too would be hesitant to put sulpher on my babies head. Ive never heard of cradle cap being fatal. Have you tries a massage with olive oil and a gentle sweep with a soft toothbrush? Worked for us.
    Karli, Besotted mother of Ashley,8lb 9oz - 9th May 2007 and Fae 8lb 11oz 17th Feb 2010, both born at home, naturally.

Nappy-free @ 18 months EC'ing rocks!
    Just leave it alone.

Actually my baby had the same problem but it was because I was changing breasts to quickly and he was only getting the foremilk. He needed more hind milk. Try block feeding

Block feeding is a feeding pattern often suggested when mother has oversupply issues, and occasionally a loose block pattern is suggested for other situations where that type of pattern may help.

The suggestion would be to the mother to use one breast per session, and to keep baby to one side for a "block" of time. In mild cases of oversupply, that may be a 2 hr block, in more severe cases, it may be 3 hr block, or in cases where mom has a monster supply, and has gotten no results from the shorter blocks of time, then a longer block of time may be recommended.

An example of a 2 hr block pattern would be as follows: Mom starts out nursing at 8 am on the right breast. If baby indicates desire to nurse again at 8:45, then mom would nurse again from right side. If baby wants to nurse again at 9:30, she'd offer right side once more. At 10 AM she'd offer left side, and no matter how many times baby indicates need to nurse, she'd keep to left side until 12, then switch back to right side again.

An example of a 3 hr block pattern would be 8 am on right breast, 11 am switch to left, 1 switch back to right, 4 switch back to left, etc.
    I :and : day and when we :because we are:

It can take at least two weeks for milk protein to leave the system. Lactaid is made for people with lactose intolerance, so it removes the lactose but not the milk protein. True lactose intolerance (in babies, anyway) is fairly rare. If your doctor is suggesting taking out milk from your diet because he suspects a milk allergy or sensitivity, the Lactaid won't do you any good. You would have to remove all forms of milk protein - which include casein, whey, butter, etc. - and read labels of foods/vitamins you usually eat to make sure there isn't milk or milk derivative in them.

I hope this makes sense - I'm on four hours of sleep and not functioning well. I'm sure some of the allergy moms can come along and give a helpful link on the difference between lactose intolerance and milk protein allergy. You can also go to the allergy forum and read some of the "stickies" at the top of the thread list.

Here is one link: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...nsitivity.html
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

I just wanted to post in agreement. Sometimes milk intolerance is misdiagnosed as dairy sensitivity. A foremilk/hindmilk imbalance or oversupply is much more common.

Also like PP has said, you could try block feeding for a week or two and see if that helps. Also cutting all dairy out of your diet (as PP mentioned the sugar is in a lot of things, not just milk) for at least 2 weeks.

Here's more info on oversupply and allergies and the breastfed baby.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLJessica View Post
    I just wanted to post in agreement. Sometimes milk intolerance is misdiagnosed as dairy sensitivity. A foremilk/hindmilk imbalance or oversupply is much more common.

Also like PP has said, you could try block feeding for a week or two and see if that helps. Also cutting all dairy out of your diet (as PP mentioned the sugar is in a lot of things, not just milk) for at least 2 weeks.

Here's more info on oversupply and allergies and the breastfed baby.
    Thank you for all of your great advice. Unfortunately, i've been doing the block feeding since baby was born because I do have an oversupply. Baby feeds every two hours during the day and 4 to 6 hours at night. I keep him feeding on one breast to empty it out. I just read I should try to pump the breast for a few minutes before baby feeds to make sure he gets the hindmilk. I will try anything to try to fix this issue. My baby is gaining weight but not as fast as doctor would like. Baby weighed 7lbs 12oz at birth and at 2 month checkup on 5 nov, he weighed 10lbs 2ozs. So does this mean I will have to be completely dairy-free? I have been massaging baby with baby oil. some days it seems to be gone but other days its spreading. How often should i apply the oil?