Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: new mom with questions

Default new mom with questions

My new baby is jsut two weeks old and so farthe breastfeeding seems to be going well, but I do have a few questions. The books I have focus on the early days of breastfeeding, but don't have much information about further on.

For instance, how do I know when breastfeeding is well established?

Also, my son fidgets at the beginning of most feedings and it generally takes about 5minutes to get him latched on well. Once on, he sucks strongly and feeds for 15-20 minutes. It seems as if he's gradually latching on more quickly. Will he eventually latch on immediately for a feeding or will there allways be a little bit of time to get situated?

So far, I have the best luck with clothes that open far enough for me to see his latch and make sure it's good. How long will it be before I don't need to see him and can wear clothes that I can wear outside of the house?

Finally, will it allways be so messy? How in the world do you keep your clothes clean?

Partly, I'm trying to decide when I'll be able to introduce a bottle without jeapordizing the breastfeeding and partly, I'm trying to figure out when I'll be able to leave the house in clothes that don't require bearing my entire boob to the world in order to feed my child. Thanks for any help you have to offer.

Default Re: new mom with questions

Congrats on your new arrival!

Most mothers find that once baby gains good head control, they are able to latch on more quickly. At some point, most babies do seem to latch on immediately.

You can start practicing now to make latching on in your "going out" clothes easier. Some mothers try nursing in front of a mirror, or have someone they trust watch them nurse and give them suggestions (tell them what's showing, what's not ). One thing that many mothers in your situation have done (myself included) is go to an out of the way location (or simply turn your back) to get baby latched on, then return when baby is nursing well. You can find more tips here:
    www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/discreet.html

No, it's not always so messy. Are you leaking a lot? Sometimes it's a good idea to have a cloth/towel handy to catch any drips. Nursing pads are also helpful.

Thanks for your answers. I'm glad to know the leaking will stop eventually.

However, over the past two days, I've become frustrated with incresing nipple pain. My mother seems to remember it taking a few weeks to get used to the sucking and it seems reasonable to me that after 29 years of my nipples being left pretty much alone, suddenly being chewed on half the day would make them a little sore and take some getting used to.

Everything I can find to read says that sore nipples have only to do with improper latch. My baby's lips are flanged and he's got almost the entire areola in his mouth. He sucks very hard, I hear plenty of swallowing and he's got plenty of dirty diapers. I really fail to see what the problem could be and would appreciate any help you could offer.

Sometimes baby's latch is okay but his positioning is off and that can cause sore nipples. So just be extra aware of his position and make sure it's correct each and every time. Personally, I do think there's a period of time for most women where they experience some soreness just from the new experience of it all. But it shouldn't be unbearable and it definately should not hurt. Do you feel any pinching at all when baby is nursing? What shape is your nipple when it comes out of baby's mouth?

If your baby is 2 weeks old and you are just now beginning to experience soreness then I'd suspect that something is going on. Also, keep in mind that baby can look like he's latched on properly but still not be. Do you have something that you can look at that details proper latching and positioning?

Did you receive any antibiotics while you were in labor? What about baby -- is he on antibiotics? If so, then I'd suspect thrush.

Let us know if you need more information!

Actually, I'm currently taking antibiotics. The doctor felt that it would be worthwhile to prevent an infection of my perineal tear. (I went in last week for pain there, so I'm getting a little sick of pain!) She said it was a safe antibiotic to take while breastfeeding, but it didn't occur to me to ask about thrush. My nipples look normal when he's done, except that they're red and swollen.

I'm trying to get in to see a lactation consultant at the hospital, but I don't know how long that will take. All I know is that it's hard to feel maternal when all he does is hurt me.

Also, I have some pretty awful exema that I was hoping would clear up once I was no longer pregnant, but it doesn't show any signs of leaving. (In fact, that's causing me some pain too. )Could that have anything to do with nipple soreness?

You could have eczema on your nipples, yes. That would definately cause some soreness. But since you are taking antiobiotics you should really also be taking a probiotic and since you're experiencing nipple pain, you may want to treat yourself and baby for thrush. The treatments are benign so if you don't have thrush, it's not a big deal to still treat. Either baby or mom can be asymptomatic and still have thrush. The probiotics are a good starting place and then maybe just an OTC antifungal cream in between feedings. You will want to treat yourself and baby for 2 weeks past the disappearance of symptoms. Honestly, there's about a thousand different ways to treat thrush so you'll really just have to experiment and find something that works for you.

Here's some info on treating thrush, although it's not from an approved LLL source: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...resources.html

Also, something on eczema: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...ml#sorenipples

I hope you can find something that helps! But don't worry - you'll get through this! Hang in there