Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 18 mths, too young to wean?

Default 18 mths, too young to wean?

I had been hoping to nurse for much longer but my 18 mth old is seeming less and less interested. Anything can get her attention from nursing and she won't nurse very long. She has even refused some of our normal times. She loves solids so I know that is part of it.

Isn't 18 mths too young? Anyone else went this early? She has dairy allergy so I was hoping to make it till at least age 2.
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

Default Re: 18 mths, too young to wean?

Being distractible at that age is completely normal. Including at night, how many times a day would you say she still nurses?

One thing that I think helped my youngest son continue to want to nurse, was that I allowed him to nurse to sleep, and I never tried to wean him from that like I did with my oldest son. I'm allowing him to self wean, and those 2 sessions and the early morning one have been his tried and true sessions, no matter what's going on each day. All the others he'd rather do something else, but those 3 sessions he is still attached to.

Ds1 self-weaned at 19-20 months...I was pg at the time so I'm sure that influenced him. But he is a perfectly normal, healthy well adjusted almost 5 year old. Your lo may be ready to wean or she may just be distracted and come back to more frequent nursing in a little while.

How Weaning Happens is a terrific book, I recommend it to all my friends IRL when weaning questions come up.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

My son is 19 months, and he too is not very interested, except sometimes at bedtime (even though today in the library he did attempt to pull my sweater off while he screamed, "More! More!" during reading ). I really want to nurse until he's 2, but I don't know if we'll make it. I offer, but if he's not interested I drop it. There have been a few times when I was sure he was done, but his interest would perk up again. I think this is a test of patience (for me, that is!).

Thanks everyone, she doesn't nurse to sleep anymore but she decided that one. She just stopped nursing to sleep, we would nurse forever and then I would move her and she would wake. So my dh puts her to bed and it really has been for the best. The morning one has seemed steady but it is short, max. 10 min. She nurses 4-5 times per day and doesn't really ask at all. Its when she wakes up, midmorning, after nap, late afternoon and bedtime. I would probably be ok with her stopping if it weren't for this milk allergy. I know she will be fine but it has always been reassuring to know that she is getting the right milk. I do have the "How weaning happens" book but it doesn't have tips to keep them from weaning. I don't want to force her of course but she does seem to be preferring the solid food, she asks for it all the time and is eating quite a bit.
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*abaker89 View Post
    Thanks everyone, she doesn't nurse to sleep anymore but she decided that one. She just stopped nursing to sleep, we would nurse forever and then I would move her and she would wake. So my dh puts her to bed and it really has been for the best. The morning one has seemed steady but it is short, max. 10 min. She nurses 4-5 times per day and doesn't really ask at all. Its when she wakes up, midmorning, after nap, late afternoon and bedtime. I would probably be ok with her stopping if it weren't for this milk allergy. I know she will be fine but it has always been reassuring to know that she is getting the right milk. I do have the "How weaning happens" book but it doesn't have tips to keep them from weaning. I don't want to force her of course but she does seem to be preferring the solid food, she asks for it all the time and is eating quite a bit.
    10 min is a long feeding fo an 18 m old.. or at least I think so. My dd's longest feeding is maybe 8-10 min and thats at 5 am ( she nurses and goes back to sleep till 7 ish) during the say she nurses less than 5 min always. She is 17 m and nurses around 4 times a day.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!