Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Silk soy..

Default Silk soy..

Anyone use Silk Soy or any kind of soy milk as an extra form of nutrition for your LO's? It is fortified with calcium & Vit D & that is what I personally drink, but I was wondering if it was a good idea to introduce little one to it now that she is 1?!

We are planning to BF for as long as it is mutually desired, so I am not looking for the ok to substitute. I am just looking for Vit D additions to her diet..

What do you all think?! What do you all do for Vit D?!

"Children reinvent your world for you." Susan Sarandon

Default Re: Silk soy..

DS is allergic to cows milk - so he drinks fortified soy milk and eats soy yogurt on a regular basis. We also give him orange juice (diluted 50% with water) that is fortified with calcium & vit D.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    DS is allergic to cows milk - so he drinks fortified soy milk and eats soy yogurt on a regular basis. We also give him orange juice (diluted 50% with water) that is fortified with calcium & vit D.

Thank you for sharing

I really do not want to go down the supplement road. I would much rather acheive the same thing with nutrition!

Personally, I worry about too much soy product especially for kids because it has estrogen-like components which can have all sorts of effects. It can be helpful for older women who actually need some hormone balance assistance, but I would be careful on using a lot of soy products for nutrition when there are lots of other options out there & if you do consume them, i would do so in small amounts- just my opinion. Here's an interesting article:

http://pregnancychildbirth.suite101...._away_from_soy
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jadesmama View Post
    Personally, I worry about too much soy product especially for kids because it has estrogen-like components which can have all sorts of effects. It can be helpful for older women who actually need some hormone balance assistance, but I would be careful on using a lot of soy products for nutrition when there are lots of other options out there & if you do consume them, i would do so in small amounts- just my opinion. Here's an interesting article:

http://pregnancychildbirth.suite101...._away_from_soy
    Very interesting indeed.. A very recent article too I do not know what to think now

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*fair.beauty29 View Post
    Very interesting indeed.. A very recent article too I do not know what to think now
    Cows milk causes constipation in my lo so I was trying to get her to drink soy milk for the calcium and vit d but recently I heard of the dangers in soy and now I am not so sure either..
    I give my lo a vit d suppliment in the winter.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

goats milk is more easily digested by humans (no help if you're lactose intolerant though)
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.