Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Questions from a first time mom

Default Questions from a first time mom

My 9 week old daughter finally took the bottle and we're training her to take breast milk through the bottle for the times she will be at day care and I nurse her the times I will be home. She is doing great but suddenly seems to not like nursing but happily takes the bottle. She nurses on me for 10 mins on each side (which she did even before) but doesn't do it at one go - she sucks for a few mins and then pulls away and keeps doing that for the last 2-3 mins on each side. Is that ok? Is she getting enough? She has 6+ wet diapers and atleast 2 poopy ones. If I go by that, then I guess she is doing ok. But just needed some reassurance.

Also, today I think my milk supply went down. Until yesterday I was able to pump 3 oz. on the right side and atleast 1.5 to 2 oz. on the left. Today its just a total of 3 oz. Is this normal?

I know I am not as relaxed as I usually am... went back to work from home part time so have much catching up to do. Maybe that is what is affecting things... I'd appreciate any response.

TIA!

Default Re: Questions from a first time mom

It's really hard when you have to go back to work!! I work full time in 3 days and my dd is home with dh. I know that when I'm at work and pumping that my milk supply is alot diffrent from when I'm at home. I get more in the am than in the afternoon. I did try fenugreek and it work good. As far as the bottle thing goes, my dd does that with me also. It's like she's playing with the nipple. But if they were not getting enough, they would let us know. Hope that helps.

In regards to the number of wet and poopy diapers, it sounds like she’s eating enough…but you can get her weight checked by your pediatrician if you’re still concerned.

She may be fussing at the breast because she can get milk easier through the bottle. I’m thinking she may not be latched on correctly at the breast, hence not effectively getting milk. Try and unlatch her and relatch again.

Stress definitely affects your milk supply. I just recently went back to work, too…and noticed on days when I have a deadline, I don’t pump as much as I typically pump on days when I’m not so busy and stressed. So try your best to relax! And like Haley's_mamma, Fenugreek worked wonders for my milk supply. You can get it at supplement stores like GNC.

HTH!

Cool Re: Questions from a first time mom

Thank you so much for your responses.

I guess I will have to wait and see if things change tomorrow. It might just be a passing phase, I hope!

My dd did the same thing when I went back to work. He would fight me when I tried to nurse him. Then I realized that nipples on the bottle were a size 2 so drinking from a bottle was WAY easier. So I switched him back to newborn nipples and it hasn't been a problem because he has to work just as hard with the bottle now.