Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I am fed up with MIL!!!

Default Re: I am fed up with MIL!!!

I am so sorry you are having such a struggle with your MIL! Kudos to you for sticking to what you know is right for your little one and for the strength it takes to constantly battle opposing (and incorrect!) views. Here is some more info you might want to share with your MIL:

Does my baby need vitamins?

The Truth About Iron: Do Breastfed Babies Need Supplements?

Is iron supplementation necessary?

Index - Vitamins for Mom & Baby

The LLL meeting sounds like a great idea! Weill your MIL feel comfortable asking the leader questions? That would be wonderful for her to hear somebody else support everything you've been telling her. Good luck!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

My son is almost six month old and I just started giving him cereal at night before bed. My pediatrician told me that if you are strictly nursing that the baby is getting all the nutrients that they need from your milk and that there is no need to use supplements in any form. As long as the baby is gaining weight in normal amounts and is healthy there is no need to feed them anything else. And good for you for sticking to your guns!!!!

On the subject of vitamin and mineral supplements, the iron in them can actually give your baby trouble. The iron in breast milk is easily used by baby so does not need to be present in large quantities. The iron in formula and supplements, however, is difficult for your baby to use and must therefore be present in large quantities to have any benefit. This presents 2 potential problems: first, large quantities of iron can lead to constipation (very painful for baby to experience and for mother to see - been there, done that, got the stained t-shirt). Second, while your baby may have trouble using the iron in supplements and formula, pathogenic gut flora do not. They thrive on it. That's one reason why artificially fed babies are at increased risk for gastroenteritis. I doubt giving a baby supplements would be as dangerous as using formula instead of breastfeeding, but it's something to consider. Sorry to get my feathers ruffled; this is a bit of a touchy subject for me.

As for your situation with your mother-in-law, I would urge you to heed the words of my wise brother, who recognized the seat of familial power from a very early age. We were at my grandmother's house. Kenny was standing in the foyer when my father told him in no uncertain terms that it was time to go to bed. He took a couple of reluctant steps down the hallway, then in a priceless moment of realization turned to my father and exclaimed, "I don't have to mind you. You're not the mother!'' Who could argue with that?

My first baby was prescribed a tri-vitamin supplement by her pediatrician (this was in the U.S., where intervention and preventative measures are more common). But I think I remember something about her needing the vitamins in part because she was a winter baby and we were living in a very cold area so she got very little sunlight. I think it was related to how much Vitamin D she needed, and that it is made by the body using sunshine (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_D).
    I've also been told by a breastfeeding consultant that it can be helpful to give a breastfed baby a LITTLE bit of water (boiled then cooled) on very, very hot days.
    You really do not need to give your baby anything other than breastmilk for the first six months, but babies can be ready for other food when they're four or five months old. There are signs when they're ready for solids, and you'll notice them. Where your baby has food allergies you might want to postpone introducing any solids (or formula! most are milk or soy based!) until you reach that six month mark.
    Good luck with all of it. I agree with other posts that you need to get your husband on your side. If he isn't bothered one way or another, then he needs to decide that what he wants is what YOU want and back you up 100%. I'm sure he understands that making these decisions is your job, not his mother's. Hopefully he'll respect the work and effort you have put in to not only do the actual breastfeeding, but also to learn about it.
    All the best!