Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Colicky baby pulls off breast and cries after 5mins

Exclamation Colicky baby pulls off breast and cries after 5mins

Help! My baby is 6 weeks and colicky. He has no latching issues but only breastfeeds for 5 mins and then he pulls himself off and screams, I burp him to help and try again only to have the same thing happen over and over. This seems to have gotten worse lately and I don't know what to do. He takes pumped milk from a bottle really well with no issues. Anyone had the same issue?

Default Re: Colicky baby pulls off breast and cries after 5mins

it could be a number of things You may have overactive letdown or oversupply. It may also be reflux. And here is some info on pulling off of the breast.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Another possibility is nipple confusion. If baby is getting bottles he might be used to the instant gratification that sucking on a bottle gives and gets upset when your breasts don't instantly provide milk. You might try expressing a little bit of milk to get it flowing before he latches on to see if that helps. The link I provided has a better description and some suggestions about how to "unconfuse" baby if necessary.

Good luck!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Awesome advice from the pp's!

Also, if your baby is colicky, I highly recommend a book called: The Happiest Baby on the Block by Harvey Karp. It saved my friend's life...she had a very colicky baby.

But, it sounds like if you work on the possible issues above, you might find that it is all you need.

Best of luck Mama...don't give up. It only gets easier.
    Becca SAHM to
    Veronica 10/31/05

and Preston 10/28/07

<--- me!
    (I love this smiley!)

I finally got on Facebook! If anyone wants to be my
    friend.

My LO was very colicky, and did the exact same thing. For me the issue was overactive letdown. When the milk let-down he would choke on it, and pull of and scream. I had to work to get my supply down to a manageable level. Does your milk spray out when you let down?

It could be any of the things mentioned by pp though. Once you figure out the cause, it can all be worked out. Nursing does get much easier with time. Hang in there, and hopefully you will get some good advice on here.

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Thanks so much for your advice. Sounds like it's an overactive letdown based on everything I've been reading. Am going to BF clinic tomorrow, hopefully they will be able to help me.

I have the exact same problem. My baby also has reflux, which doesn't make it easier.

I had a similar problem and was suggested by few mothers (here, on LLLI forum:-) that my LO might be just tired (overtired). If your baby doesn't scream right away but later, say in 10-15 min, that also might be the case. I tried then calming her down, help her fall asleep, she'd nap for 5-10min and then eat without screaming. I know its frustrating, so hang in there
    Mother to 3 beautiful girls

Victoria, our queen, born on 04/15/1993, our pride and joy!
    Natalie, our little princess, born on 08/24/2008
    at birth 7lbs 11oz, 20"
    at 2 y.o check up: 26lbs, 34 1/2"
    Sofia, our tiny princess, baby-surprize,
    born 07/20/2010 at 6lbs 10oz, 19"
    6 weeks: 9lbs 14oz; 21 1/2"
    2.5 months: 11lbs 5oz

4.5 months: 13lbs 4oz; 24 1/2"

We are still exclusively
    at work

I def know how you feel. I was going through the same thing not too long ago. It's gotten considerably better. I think the worst part was the gassiness from DS gulping. It seemed like he would have gas for hours afterward.