Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help me keep my milk!`

Exclamation Help me keep my milk!`

for 4 months I've struggled with over supply, then under supply issues. I'm in an under supply stage - the worst, yet. Last night I had to supplement with a bottle for the first time. Today I pumped half of what I pumped yesterday at work. I'm not sure what to link it to. I think I've started ovulating, but already had my cycle pass last week. It's not a plugged duct or mastitis (we've been through that, also). Can milk just drastically decrease after 17 weeks of nursing? What should I do?

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Default Re: Help me keep my milk!`

First off, try to stop stressing. This may only make matters worse.

What makes you think you have an undersupply? Are you nursing on demand? Have you tried pumping after each feeding? Any herbal supplements for lactating mothers? I know that pumping after each feeding can really help your supply. I don't know much about the herbal supplements, but lots of other moms here do, so they can chime in. I myself make sure to eat a bowl of oatmeal everyday. I can pump twice as much at work as when I dont have any.

Hang in there mamma!

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

I don't think I REALLY have an under supply per say, but my supply varies SO greatly it really bothers me. I do feed on demand - and last night my lo was fussy at the breast (prob. more b/c of slow let down???) and drank 4 oz. out of a bottle. she NEVER does that! Also, I pumped half today of what I pumped yesterday.

I am using herbs on and off and always have oatmeal everday.

Thanks for chiming in - I popped a bunch of fenugreek today and that has seemed to help.

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

Do you generally drink the same amount every day? That is the thing (other than AF) which changes my supply drastically...
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Yeah, water helps...didn't find the let down button on my pump - any thoughts?

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months