Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: unsure how to regulate milk after OA lactation

Default unsure how to regulate milk after OA lactation

Hi-

My 5 week old has had green poops on and off almost since birth and has had some fussy colic-like symptoms as well. I think I am producing too much milk and therefore we have a fore/hindmilk problem. I pumped in the beginning a lot because we were trying to work out some issues, and now my breasts are engorged quite often, and after doing some reading, I think this is causing her symptoms.

I have been just nursing from one breast in blocks for the last couple of days and yesterday she was in wonderful spirits compared to before--and her poop was back to normal. Last night she didn't nurse a lot though, and so this morning I'm engorged, she is fussy at the breast and after feeding, and it seems we're back to the way it was before. I feel she's getting too much foremilk when I'm engorged, but I don't want to pump and therefore keep producing this much milk. I have also cut out dairy as of yesterday because I've read this can be another cause of these symptoms, but no matter what i still think I am producing too much.

My question is, how do I stop this cycle and produce less milk, and thus less foremilk? I can express just a little before nursing, but just a little doesn't help the problem much. I feel I'm just filling her full of foremilk when I nurse her when my breasts are so full. Any suggestions? I don't want to start with cabbage leaves or medicine yet as I don't want to decrease it too much either. Help!!

Default Re: unsure how to regulate milk after OA lactation

I forgot to mention a couple of things. i thought she could have reflux, but she only vomits or spits up occasionally. Could it be silent reflux? Also, my nipples have been very sore ever since birth. I have had a LC check out if she is latching on right, and she appears to be. I don't think it's thrush or anything like that since she displays no symptoms. Is it possible that she just chomps down a lot harder than normal? Thanks for any help.

Have you checked out this info here?

And here is some info on engorgement.

And it could be a bad latch, but it still could be thrush, even if baby has no symptoms. Our LO never showed signs and we have had it 4x.

Good luck mama!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

thanks for the reply. The link for engorgement wouldn't work for me although the other one was helpful. I suppose we could be dealing with thrush, but in any case I still think it would be combined with oversupply of milk. I will stick with the block feeding for a while and try the cold compresses as the link suggests. I want to try to avoid expressing or pumping since I want the supply to slow down, but then aren't I more prone to mastitis or plugged ducts if I'm engorged for long periods of time?

Some of the engorgement should regulate over time as well. I know mine did around 6-7 weeks or so. So hopefully you are about to turn a corner on that.

Good luck mama!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I have been having the same issues with my 2 month old. i just asked similar question on the "breastfeeding your infant" forum. you could view my replies to our similar issue. I would like to know how did you do your block feeding? i nurse my son on only one breast at each feeding but it was suggested i try nursing on same breast for several feedings. how did you do yours? i am desperate to fix this issue. i too cut out milk but not all dairy. its been one week since and no changes yet.

i read that sage and parsley are used to reduce milk supply and I know MotherLove who makes More Milk Plus sells a Sage Tincture.

http://www.motherlove.com/product_sage.php

hope this helps
    Mommy to
    Eden Jolie
    August 27, 2008
    and
    Desmond William
    November 28, 2011

Zella just had to say "Do you have my baby?" I have a 4 week old and am having the exact same questions and issues. My first child was intolerant to dairy AND soy(keep in mind that 50% that are intolerant to dairy are also intolerant to dairy), so I have cut both out of my diet for 3 weeks now, but still not much change. He actually doesn't have super green poops, but there is some green from time to time and we are starting to get the fussies on my right breast as he never truly empties it as it is producing too much. I had tons of clogged ducts with my first child so I am SOO afraid of that as well...eeekkk. So confusing to know if it is what I am eating or the overproduction that is causing my issues. To make matters worse my left breast doesn't produce enough so I have to feed on both breasts when I use my left to get him full. I wish we could have our milk analyzed to really understand what is in it and how much foremilk/hindmilk is in a feeding. (sigh) Anyway, hang in there and know that you are NOT alone. If your baby is sensitive to dairy and/or soy going formula is a worse option(tried that with my first child and her stool got even greener and she was miserable so went back to breastfeeding) Hang in there.