Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: will fenugreek or alfalfa increase my supply???

Default Re: will fenugreek or alfalfa increase my supply???

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*confused View Post
    Good luck to you

When I pump I feel like I am getting nothing. Last night I only pumped 10 ml in my left breast! This morning looked a whole lot better! I pumped 30 ml in my right breast and almost 30 ml in the left breast
    but. I went to bed at 11:30ish and didnt pump until this morning at 7:57 (bad, I know) but it makes me wonder would I have had that much this morning if I would have pumped every 2 hours throughout the night?
    Sometimes I feel like my breasts don't have enough time to make more than 10-20ml in 2 hours which is why i'm getting such bad results...?

I am taking reglan, fenugreek and occasionally alfalfa, PLUS eating oatmeal once a day..shouldn't I be pumping more than this?

I'm going to try not to get discouraged, I'm doing what I can to make sure that she gets my breastmilk. But she can eat 4-6 oz of formula (I am having to supplement) and I just don't think I can compete with that! lol

Also, I am only pumping now, no more breast feeding
    But I am using the medela advanced personal double pump (pump in style), will this be good enough to keep up my supply since she is no longer nursing? I wish she would nurse but she is rejecting me and has taken a preference to the bottle nipple (avent #1).

We will overcome our low bm issues!
    Last edited by @llli*edens.mami; November 13th, 2008 at 09:25 AM. Reason: added part about pump
    Mommy to
    Eden Jolie
    August 27, 2008
    and
    Desmond William
    November 28, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*edens.mami View Post
    When I pump I feel like I am getting nothing. Last night I only pumped 10 ml in my left breast! This morning looked a whole lot better! I pumped 30 ml in my right breast and almost 30 ml in the left breast
    but. I went to bed at 11:30ish and didnt pump until this morning at 7:57 (bad, I know) but it makes me wonder would I have had that much this morning if I would have pumped every 2 hours throughout the night?
    Sometimes I feel like my breasts don't have enough time to make more than 10-20ml in 2 hours which is why i'm getting such bad results...?

I am taking reglan, fenugreek and occasionally alfalfa, PLUS eating oatmeal once a day..shouldn't I be pumping more than this?

I'm going to try not to get discouraged, I'm doing what I can to make sure that she gets my breastmilk. But she can eat 4-6 oz of formula (I am having to supplement) and I just don't think I can compete with that! lol

But I am using the medela advanced personal double pump (pump in style), will this be good enough to keep up my supply since she is no longer nursing? I wish she would nurse but she is rejecting me and has taken a preference to the bottle nipple (avent #1).

I was told by lactation consultant that once you stop BFing completely it can be a struggle to keep your supply up. There are few things you can try, they definitely help: pump more often, keep switching sides while pumping onse you see the decrease in the flow, massage your breasts before and during pumping, make sure you have the right size of the shield (very important!), and ... i have to say that...not pumping at night all night is working against you. I only have medela swing and thought that was the cause of me not being able to pump a lot at the beginning, but now, as I started pumping more, drinking more and BFing my LO more when I'm home, I'm doing much better, thank God, so I don't think that having a good pump is everything, it definitely helps, but you still have to work hard (as i can see you're like me, not one of those lucky women who has lots of milk and don't worry about not having enough on a daily basis) to increase and then to maintain your supply!

why's your baby rejecting you? mine (I was afraid once she learns that bottles are easier she'll stop BFing) love BFing and it seems like she's waiting for me to get home to be BFed and she makes up for the whole day by nursing every 1.5-2 hours. That also helps me maintain the supply.

I was also told that if you want to increase the supply, supplementing is BAD. the amount of formula she eats each time is an indication for you of how much less milk will you have

but listen, I'm sure you doing your best and you're right, don't get discouraged, just keep pumping

good luck to you
    Mother to 3 beautiful girls

Victoria, our queen, born on 04/15/1993, our pride and joy!
    Natalie, our little princess, born on 08/24/2008
    at birth 7lbs 11oz, 20"
    at 2 y.o check up: 26lbs, 34 1/2"
    Sofia, our tiny princess, baby-surprize,
    born 07/20/2010 at 6lbs 10oz, 19"
    6 weeks: 9lbs 14oz; 21 1/2"
    2.5 months: 11lbs 5oz

4.5 months: 13lbs 4oz; 24 1/2"

We are still exclusively
    at work

I was told by lactation consultant that once you stop BFing completely it can be a struggle to keep your supply up. There are few things you can try, they definitely help: pump more often, keep switching sides while pumping onse you see the decrease in the flow, massage your breasts before and during pumping, make sure you have the right size of the shield (very important!), and ... i have to say that...not pumping at night all night is working against you. I only have medela swing and thought that was the cause of me not being able to pump a lot at the beginning, but now, as I started pumping more, drinking more and BFing my LO more when I'm home, I'm doing much better, thank God, so I don't think that having a good pump is everything, it definitely helps, but you still have to work hard (as i can see you're like me, not one of those lucky women who has lots of milk and don't worry about not having enough on a daily basis) to increase and then to maintain your supply!

why's your baby rejecting you? mine (I was afraid once she learns that bottles are easier she'll stop BFing) love BFing and it seems like she's waiting for me to get home to be BFed and she makes up for the whole day by nursing every 1.5-2 hours. That also helps me maintain the supply.

I was also told that if you want to increase the supply, supplementing is BAD. the amount of formula she eats each time is an indication for you of how much less milk will you have

but listen, I'm sure you doing your best and you're right, don't get discouraged, just keep pumping

good luck to you
    Well, things are looking up a little bit, I have been pumping around 30mL in each breast every time now so I'm hoping that it will just get better from here.

I am still trying to get her to nurse by offering the breast to her every now and then but usually she just screams and turns her head. I'm not sure why she started rejecting me, I think she has a preference to the bottle nipple even though she wasn't getting it that often. Now she has exclusively been bottle feeding for the past 2 days and for some reason, today, she nursed on my right side with no fight whatsoever
    BUT when I offered her my left breast she went back to rejecting. I'm not sure what is going on with her but, who knows
    I want to eventually be where you are with your little girl, I want to nurse her at nights when I come home from work, I would love for her to do both but I guess she is just a very picky eater. I mean, she won't even nurse without a nipple shield!
    I do miss bfing though

I know supplementing is bad but right now i have pretty much worked up my breast milk supply to the point where I am mixing it with formula 50:50. Soon, I hope, I will be using only EBM or only very little formula in her bottles.

I know not pumping at night is not good and working against me but the past 2 nights, I have really needed the sleep but now that the weekend is here I'm going to try to get up throughout the night to get some pumping in. I needed to get some sleep, I can tell where some stress is taking its toll on me. I'm now grinding my teeth really bad and not to mention the low milk supply

But I will continue to work hard to give her what I can for as long as I can and I'm not giving up completely on nursing. I just stop if she starts crying because I don't want her to associate it with negative feelings.

thanks for the support, It's my first time and i'm trying my best
    Mommy to
    Eden Jolie
    August 27, 2008
    and
    Desmond William
    November 28, 2011

Can I suggest a different bottle, that works more like the natural breast & has the baby work more for the milk? It's one that has been recommended to me this time around, and definitely made a difference in how happy DD was to come back to me after taking a bottle. It's The First Years Breastflow Bottle. The middle insert in this nipple requires them to really work it to get the milk to flow. And BTW, the nipple does appear to fill with milk, but the middle piece (the blue part) has to be squeezed in order for the milk to flow. This is my new favorite bottle, after using Avent with DS#1 and Playtex disposables (oh the ease!) for DS#2 & DD#3.
    Marcie, mom of 2 boys & 2 girls

Well, things are looking up a little bit, I have been pumping around 30mL in each breast every time now so I'm hoping that it will just get better from here.

I am still trying to get her to nurse by offering the breast to her every now and then but usually she just screams and turns her head. I'm not sure why she started rejecting me, I think she has a preference to the bottle nipple even though she wasn't getting it that often. Now she has exclusively been bottle feeding for the past 2 days and for some reason, today, she nursed on my right side with no fight whatsoever
    BUT when I offered her my left breast she went back to rejecting. I'm not sure what is going on with her but, who knows
    I want to eventually be where you are with your little girl, I want to nurse her at nights when I come home from work, I would love for her to do both but I guess she is just a very picky eater. I mean, she won't even nurse without a nipple shield!

I do miss bfing though

I know supplementing is bad but right now i have pretty much worked up my breast milk supply to the point where I am mixing it with formula 50:50. Soon, I hope, I will be using only EBM or only very little formula in her bottles.

I know not pumping at night is not good and working against me but the past 2 nights, I have really needed the sleep but now that the weekend is here I'm going to try to get up throughout the night to get some pumping in. I needed to get some sleep, I can tell where some stress is taking its toll on me. I'm now grinding my teeth really bad and not to mention the low milk supply

But I will continue to work hard to give her what I can for as long as I can and I'm not giving up completely on nursing. I just stop if she starts crying because I don't want her to associate it with negative feelings.

thanks for the support, It's my first time and i'm trying my best
    I know we need sleep, I'm pretty exhausted myself: I'm starting my work at 7 (want come home early, my choice), so have to get up at 4:50 to be able to nurse and pump the rest (she's not that actively nursing at 5am, so have some leftover milk in my breasts, especially early in the morning, best time for lactation), some nights, laki last night, she wakes once to nurse (last night she ate at around 1:20am), so I slept from 10:30 to 1:20, and then till 4:30 (she decided not to wait for my alarm clock:-), but some nights she's up every 2 hours and falls asleep at 11, not 9-10, so you can imagine. Ofcourse, I'm exhausted and it affects my supply, but no choice. My husband can't help me much at night, cause I'm BFing...Plus I think she misses her bobies (LOL), so she nurses more often once I'm home, including nights sometimes, or maybe those are just growth spurts... All I can say to you, keep pumping and no stress!!! We doing all we can, whats best for our LOs
    Mother to 3 beautiful girls

Victoria, our queen, born on 04/15/1993, our pride and joy!
    Natalie, our little princess, born on 08/24/2008
    at birth 7lbs 11oz, 20"
    at 2 y.o check up: 26lbs, 34 1/2"
    Sofia, our tiny princess, baby-surprize,
    born 07/20/2010 at 6lbs 10oz, 19"
    6 weeks: 9lbs 14oz; 21 1/2"
    2.5 months: 11lbs 5oz

4.5 months: 13lbs 4oz; 24 1/2"

We are still exclusively
    at work

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*marciem View Post
    Can I suggest a different bottle, that works more like the natural breast & has the baby work more for the milk? It's one that has been recommended to me this time around, and definitely made a difference in how happy DD was to come back to me after taking a bottle. It's The First Years Breastflow Bottle. The middle insert in this nipple requires them to really work it to get the milk to flow. And BTW, the nipple does appear to fill with milk, but the middle piece (the blue part) has to be squeezed in order for the milk to flow. This is my new favorite bottle, after using Avent with DS#1 and Playtex disposables (oh the ease!) for DS#2 & DD#3.
    those look neat! thanks for letting me know! I'm going to check these out and hopefully she will not hate me for making her work for her milk again! haha

I know we need sleep, I'm pretty exhausted myself: I'm starting my work at 7 (want come home early, my choice), so have to get up at 4:50 to be able to nurse and pump the rest (she's not that actively nursing at 5am, so have some leftover milk in my breasts, especially early in the morning, best time for lactation), some nights, laki last night, she wakes once to nurse (last night she ate at around 1:20am), so I slept from 10:30 to 1:20, and then till 4:30 (she decided not to wait for my alarm clock:-), but some nights she's up every 2 hours and falls asleep at 11, not 9-10, so you can imagine. Ofcourse, I'm exhausted and it affects my supply, but no choice. My husband can't help me much at night, cause I'm BFing...Plus I think she misses her bobies (LOL), so she nurses more often once I'm home, including nights sometimes, or maybe those are just growth spurts... All I can say to you, keep pumping and no stress!!! We doing all we can, whats best for our LOs
    Yeah, I'm definitely not looking forward to the nights when I start working (which will be really soon). My husband hasn't been able to help me because he wakes up so early to go to work and I was bfing but now that she is eating from the bottle, he can probably start helping

I just pumped again and I'm on a roll w/ the 30mL in each breast! I know some people can pump much more but this def. beats 10mL!!

soooo, you're right

no stress no stress
    Mommy to
    Eden Jolie
    August 27, 2008
    and
    Desmond William
    November 28, 2011