Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: will fenugreek or alfalfa increase my supply???

Unhappy will fenugreek or alfalfa increase my supply???

Hi !

Looks like nobody has any comments or sugestions regarding my othe post from earlier today. I'm a little upset because of my milk supply, I have a feeling that its decreasing, although I don't know how much is it normal to pump (with 11 weeks old baby), its just my second week at work. I though maybe I should try some herbs, cause nothing else seems to work. Did anybody tried those?

Thanks
    Mother to 3 beautiful girls

Victoria, our queen, born on 04/15/1993, our pride and joy!
    Natalie, our little princess, born on 08/24/2008
    at birth 7lbs 11oz, 20"
    at 2 y.o check up: 26lbs, 34 1/2"
    Sofia, our tiny princess, baby-surprize,
    born 07/20/2010 at 6lbs 10oz, 19"
    6 weeks: 9lbs 14oz; 21 1/2"
    2.5 months: 11lbs 5oz

4.5 months: 13lbs 4oz; 24 1/2"

We are still exclusively
    at work

Default Re: will fenugreek or alfalfa increase my supply???

I don't know anything about fenugreek or alfalfa but here's a recipe from my LC for a smoothie:
    Kale/Pineapple Recipe to Increase Milk Supply

½ cup Dole’s orange, pineapple, banana juice
    (may use plain pineapple juice)
    ½ cup coconut, soy, rice, whole or skim milk
    (may use coconut cream)
    1 banana frozen then peeled and sliced
    (may add ice if banana is unfrozen)
    2 medium kale leaves chopped very fine
    (no stems)

Place ingredients in smoothie machine or blender and puree until smooth. Recipe makes 2-3 servings. Drink entire mixture each day.

Kale and pineapple juice go really well together. The moms at the Thursday Breastfeeding Group love this recipe.

Kale is a goitrogenic food and may affect thyroid function. Do not use this drink if you have any thyroid condition or a family history of any thyroid condition.
    DD (7/23/08) self weaned at 17 months
    DS (6/20/10) nursing like a champ

Wow, thanks!

I was about to run to the supermarket when I saw your last sentence. I do have a thyroid desease, so i guess it's not for me. I'm still on pretty high dose of synthroid...

Thanks anyway!

at birth 7lbs 11oz, 20"

We are still exclusively
    at work

I have been using Fenugreek off and on since my son was born. Whenever I feel like my supply is slipping, I take 4 of them with meals for a few days and usually my supply comes back up within 3 days or so.

Only down side, my husband HATES the smell of it. Once you start taking it regularly, it makes your sweat and urine smell really, really sicky-sweet.'

Good luck!
    Mom to Hayleigh, born on April 8, 2006 at 33 weeks gestation, now 2 and half and going strong!

Mom to Reese, born May 27, 2008 at term, breastfeeding and currently 20 pounds and growing!

I tried a number of herbs, etc. but nothing seemed to help me. i had taken the mini pill and it zapped my supply. i am now on Reglan prescribed by doctor, and that helps, but it is not waht it used to be. so don't wait too long with trying herbs and teas if it doesn't help you. it does help most women though! there's just an unlucky few that it doesn't...like me.

hang in there, it's a tough time. you can also try to pump more, nurse more, etc. if you need more suggestions, you can PM me, i went through i think just about everything, but finally went on the rx.

hang in there momma!
    for 1 year ! We are fully weaned... . We kicked deadbeat dad to curb and rocking 2010 on our own! It is what it is!

May 16, 2008

I personally use fenugreek, alfalfa, and fennel.

Fenugreek and alfalfa help boost supply, and fennel helps with let down if you are pumping a lot.

Another one you could try (I haven't personally tried it) is Goat's Rue. It is supposed to increase breast tissue.

I also eat oatmeal all the time. Some women see a drastic difference with oatmeal as well.

Good luck mama!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Thanks everybody for your support, you know, when you strugle and worried, any advise is soooo welcome! Just knowing that I'm not alone!
    I can't pump more aften, because I'm playing with fire anyway, I pump 4 times, 30 min each, so total-2 hours...out of 8 working hours:-))) Plus I pump once at home before leaving for work. I have to be greatful gor being able to pump 4 times at work (for now, one day it will change. I'm afraid).

As for oatmeal, I'll have to go back to it again (I ate a lot of it at the beginning), I guess, and think about weight loss when I'm done BFing:-)

Didi anyone hear about More Milk Plus??? It has all: fenugreek, blessed thistle, fennel and some other herbs. Isn't it better than taking all of those separately? I read about it, it has amazing reviews! I guess I'll try and God help me:-)

at birth 7lbs 11oz, 20"

We are still exclusively
    at work

I tried it once but didn't like it. It almost seemed to hinder my supply so I stopped taking it. I know that everyone else I have heard of loves it though.

If you want to throw a couple bucks my way for shipping I will send you my bottle so you can try it.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Try not to stress mamma, that won't help! I notice a huge difference when I eat oatmeal daily. I'm able to pump twice as much when I'm at work if I eat some.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*confused View Post
    I do have a thyroid desease, so i guess it's not for me. I'm still on pretty high dose of synthroid...
    Postpartum thyroid problems are really common, and can affect milk supply. When's the last time you had your levels checked? It might be time to adjust your synthroid dosage.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"