Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When will overnight supply even out?

Default When will overnight supply even out?

My lo is 11 weeks old and has been sleeping through the night consistantly for about 3 weeks or so. When I wake up in the morning my breasts are so full they're as hard as rocks. It's extremely uncomfortable and hurts when she latches on to nurse I'm so engorged. I've been pumping a little bit before she wakes up just to relieve myself a litle.

How long does it usually take for your body to stop making so much milk overnight?

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Default Re: When will overnight supply even out?

I think it's different for every mom. It took me about a week to stop waking up engorged. How much have you been pumping- a lot, or just enough to relieve the pressure? If you pump a lot, that will prolong the engorgement. You might want to try a cup of peppermint tea before bedtime, and see if that helps reduce your nighttime supply a bit. (Peppermint is supposed to inhibit milk production.)

Hope your body gets the message to reduce nighttime production soon!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I think it's different for every mom. It took me about a week to stop waking up engorged. How much have you been pumping- a lot, or just enough to relieve the pressure? If you pump a lot, that will prolong the engorgement. You might want to try a cup of peppermint tea before bedtime, and see if that helps reduce your nighttime supply a bit. (Peppermint is supposed to inhibit milk production.)

Hope your body gets the message to reduce nighttime production soon!

Maybe I'm pumping too much. I've been pumping about 2 ounces out of each side. I thought this might not be too much because I still feel pretty full after that.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

My son is 19 weeks and we have had major oversupply issues. constant plugged ducts and feeling really engorged. This is the first week I am not completely hard as rocks. Still really full though. I would stop pumping and just hand express a tiny bit. The more milk that you take out the more your body thinks you need