Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk?

Default Milk?

Im not sure where to post this...

My DD2 will be 1 next month. We plan to still Breastfeed, but if i wanted to give her milk, which milk is closest to BM? Cow, Soy, Rice, Goat? I had heard Goat but im not sure and dont have any knowledge as to why it is.

thanks
    Mommy to:
    Nathaniel 2/28/05
    Boy/Girl Twins: Raymond 17w4d & Candice 5/22/06
    Lana 12/22/07

Missing Wylder 9w5d
    TTCAL for another nursling!

Default Re: Milk?

Soy and rice milk are not "milk" they are just cloudy whitish stuff we chose to call milk. I have also heard that goat's milk it easier on a human body than cow - but I leave that to all the experts out here. There is lactose in all actual milk though so if your LO is intolerant keep away from it all and hope it goes away in a while.

FWIW I loved goat's milk as a child but haven't had it in decades.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

im glad you asked this question because ive been wondering it too. DS will turn one in less than 3 weeks (oh my god i just realized how close that is ) and im not planning on weaning but want to have a different kind of milkor something handy in case i cant feed him or if i need a break
    I'm Jamie, and im Proud to be:
    Carter's SAHM since 11-27-07 and now to Eli too, since 7-25-11
    Cody's Wife since 8-28-08

and and

my healthy boys don't get vaccines

My pediatrician recommended whole milk. I did wonder about using goats milk but my DS has done fine with the cow's milk. I also mix in Pediasure but that is due to slow weight gain and doctor advice. He also didn't start using milk in a cup as a real source of fluid until he was 15 months. I noticed he either drank the bottle of breastmilk I sent to daycare or the cup of milk but never both.

most Peds will say Cows Milk... but I am going against the grain once again.

She doesnt have any milk allergies.

BUMP for any BTDT moms please..........
    Mommy to:
    Nathaniel 2/28/05
    Boy/Girl Twins: Raymond 17w4d & Candice 5/22/06
    Lana 12/22/07

Missing Wylder 9w5d
    TTCAL for another nursling!

If you are still nursing I think it's 4x a day, then you don't have to give her any milk. If you want to give her something else in a cup, it could really be any type of milk since it would just be 'extra'. Neither one of my kids drink cow's milk. Kate didn't because she didn't like it, and now she can't because her body is not used to the lactose. She has always eaten cheese, yogurt or kefir.

Ben is 2 1/2 and has never had cow's milk except on his cereal on a couple of occasions at my mom's. At first it was because of allergies, but he has since outgrown them. He nursed until he was almost 22 months. He does eat cheese on occasion, and I do try to get calcium in him through food, but we give him a chewable calcium to round it off. Then I just made certain he was getting enough fat and protein in his foods.

I have also read that goat's milk is closest to human milk. However, I recently attended a presentation on dairy, and was surprised to see that goat's milk isn't really that similar, and that mare's milk is a lot closer to human than other domesticated animal's milk! (Not that I'm going to go out and milk a horse:!!!)

Actually, camel's milk is closest to BM AFAIK but it's not available there. (It is where I am and it's what DS drinks daily now.) I would go with goat's milk. Cow's milk is the fartherst from BM of all the animal milks consumed by humans.
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

I'm not sure if it's "closer" to human milk, but they say goat's milk is easier to digest than cow's milk, because the proteins are smaller- because it's made for baby goats which are much smaller than baby cows. The bigger the baby, the bigger the protein, I guess. With all that said, if you don't have any allergy issues, I'd say it's up to you & lo may help decide depending on whether they like either one or neither. And like pp said, you don't "need" it if still nursing, but I felt the same way before dd turned 1, like I might need a back up. But, so far, she usually just eats more solids if someone is watching her and she's hungry.
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...