Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much milk to leave for ~1yo?

Default How much milk to leave for ~1yo?

Hello, ladies!

I'm a teacher, and will be going back to school the last week of this month. I work 3 days a week, and my daughter goes to a home daycare nearby while I'm at school. I drop her off around 7:15 and pick her up around 3:15.

At the end of last school year, I was leaving four 4-oz bottles for her while I was gone. She would nurse 2x before we left the house, then have a bottle about 45 minutes after I left her. Then another around lunchtime, and one in the afternoon. I think she probably could have skipped the pm bottle, since sometimes she was still finishing it when I picked her up. The fourth bottle was pretty much a backup - just in case she was really hungry.

She was barely 9 months old when school ended in June. She'll be almost a year when I go back. I'm sure her needs are very different!

How much milk should I leave for her? She is eating solids, and will eat anything I let her have. Will she start eating more like a toddler now? Should she get some cow milk? I have no idea how this works! I don't have whole lot of info from our LLL group, as most of the moms are SAH, and those who work have babies younger or have on-site daycare and can nurse during the day!

Any advice, please?

Default Re: How much milk to leave for ~1yo?

Hi,

Your baby is just a couple of weeks older than mine. While I can't predict what next month will be like, I can tell you what DS is eating at daycare now. He'll drink 2 4-oz bottles, have a jar of solid food, and have some cereal (we just use the packets) mixed with 2-3 oz of breastmilk. Yesterday he also enjoyed a nice snack of veggie booty. We are apart 10-11 hours.

At 1 year I plan to start mixing cow's milk with breastmilk for him and not pump anymore. He'll probably be eating larger solid food meals then too.

I hope that helps!

If you are okay with pumping, the breastmilk is much better than cow's milk.

My daughter is 1 year. She drinks about 12-14 ounces of bm at daycare (4 bottles in total-she rarely finishes a full 4 oz ). She also has fresh fruit as a snack around 9:30 am, lunch at noon--whole grain and veggie (2-3 oz), and a fruit snack w/ cookie (arrowroot) at around 3:30 pm. Our daycare provides me with a menu each week and I select what lunches and snacks they should give her.

I am gradually switching over from bm to cow's milk. I have been pumping three times a day since October and I am ready to dump the pump! So far I have given dd half and half bottles with no problem. I use organic cow's milk. Yesterday was the first day I dropped one of my three pumping sessions. I plan to drop two pump sessions by the fall and keep my lunchtime pump (8 oz total) through the end of the year or longer if I feel up to it.

Add another complication - I'm pregnant!

I'm thrilled, but I know my supply will most likely drop. Pumping has always been a little difficult for me, especially at work (I'm a teacher...)

So I'm wondering if I can do my pumping at home - in the morning and afternoon while she nurses on the other side. If I can't keep up with her daytime needs, should she have cow's milk during the day? Or would the table food and some drinks be enough to get her through until she's with me?

I know most literature says 16-24 oz of 'milk' per day for a young toddler - does that count for breastmilk, too? If that's the case, she'd probably be getting that in the morning/evening with me on those days.

I want to give her as much breastmilk as she needs, but the pumping at school is a major issue for me, especially with a not-so-comfortable place to do it!

Congratulations on the pregnancy! Consider getting a copy of the book _Adventures in Tandem Nursing_ by Hilary Flower - she has lots of info about being pregnant and nursing and pumping.

You can definitely pump at home while nursing, if you can manage an acrobatic toddler and a pump. Lots of mothers do it.

And yes, that recommendation for "milk" includes all kinds of milk - human milk, cow's milk, soy milk, etc.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!