Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help with weaning

Default Help with weaning

My son will be one year old on the 28th. I would like to start weaning him, but I haven't been very diligent with that. As far as it goes, right now he nurses for about 10 minutes in the morning, then once in the afternoon, and then on demand in the evening (usually once when we get home and then once before bed). At night, he'll usually wake up around 3:30 or 4 a.m. and I will take him into bed, nurse him and sleep with him.

At this point, I just need some help figuring out how to start the weaning process. He eats solid food really well (usually finger foods) and has 2-3 bottles of expressed BM while he's at daycare.

I would like to figure out, first and foremost, how to cut out the night feeding completely. DH would like him to stay in his bed, but I don't know how to resist the temptation of pulling him into bed with us. So, any tips with regards to that would be great.

Secondly, how do I wean completely?

Thirdly, when can I stop pumping? I still pump 2x a day and would like to stop that. I hate pumping.

Thanks for the advice.
    Mom to Ricky, born 11/28/07, 8lbs 8.5oz
    13lbs by 2/12/08!

in the morning, @ work and again @ night!

to

Default Re: Help with weaning

I would start with the pumping. I reccomend pump weaning 1st. Because of you are still nursing while together, your child is still getting the nutrition needed from breastmilk and you can eliminate the pumping because it isn't providing him any emotional connection to you.
    I don't kow how many times a day you are pumping, but if it's more than once I would eliminate one a week until you aren't doing it anymore. If you are only doing it once a day and it's producing 2-3 bottles than maybe begin by shortening the sessions?
    But the thing to remember is that after the year point, your body can be trusted to make milk while with your child even if you are no longer pumping. AND even if your child rejects cow's milk while away from you, if you are breast feedng 3-5x in a 24hour period you don't need it to be replaced with something else.
    That is still enough milk. Don't spend any time or energy stressing about what your LO will drink while away from you while you pump wean. He can drink water all day and milk while you are together and be fine. HTH!

Way too lazy for formula

I pump about 12-14 oz in one session on a good day, I usually get enough to fill 3 bottles of 5oz each in two sessions. But considering I have a deep freezer FULL of breast milk, I really do want to stop pumping all together.
    Mom to Ricky, born 11/28/07, 8lbs 8.5oz
    13lbs by 2/12/08!

in the morning, @ work and again @ night!

to

And you can. Even if you didn't have a freezer full at this point, it shouldn't affect your supply while together.. But that sounds like enough milk to make you uncomfortable if you try to go cold turkey. So I would start by just shortening the sessions. Cut the time on each breast in half. If you are able to do that without pain or being uncomfortable, after a few days, than just shorten each side by a minute until it's gone. If you can't do it with out pain when cutting in half, back up and try cutting off just 5minutes off to start and take it down from there.

Way too lazy for formula