Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Biting while feeding?

Exclamation Biting while feeding?

My five month old son has just recently cut his first tooth (one of the front bottom ones). It is pretty well in now, and has a pretty sharp point to it. I was feeding him the other day, and he chomped down on my nipple hard enough to draw blood. I got it away from him, cried a little, then put him on the other one and he did fine. He has clamped down on my right one several times since then (it is not as "high production" as the left), and this morning he chomped down again and drew blood (he didn't mean to this time - he was half asleep and finishing off/letting go),

OMG, I am so sore, and it is just agony to let him nurse the right one right now. I know I have to to keep production up, so I'll suck it up, but what can I do to get him not to bite down?

I know that there is no way to discipline a five month old... he has no idea of what he is doing or that it is hurting me. What I've been doing is just sticking my pinkie in his mouth as soon as I feel him start to clamp down, but I was half asleep myself this morning...

Thanks in advance for the help!

Default Re: Biting while feeding?

Unfortunately, there isn't much more you can do. Keep the lanolin on and that does help ease the pain and helps the wounds heal quicker. The drier the cut gets, the worse it can get.

DS got me a few times so hard that I did have to nurse from one breast only for a day just to give the other some much needed relief. It was still extremely sore the next day when we nursed, but I do think the one day of rest helped out.

FWIW, it was my right that DS cut up all the time. He never bit the left.
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln

I hadn't thought about going back to the Lansinoh

Guess it would help a chewed up nipple just like it did back at the beginning.

Thanks!!!!!
    Mom to Hayleigh, born on April 8, 2006 at 33 weeks gestation, now 2 and half and going strong!

Mom to Reese, born May 27, 2008 at term, breastfeeding and currently 20 pounds and growing!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mom2hayleigh View Post
    I know that there is no way to discipline a five month old... he has no idea of what he is doing or that it is hurting me.
    There are actually things you can do to try and teach them not to bite. Here is some good info and tricks.

Good luck. I know how it feels....
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?