Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacifiers and daycare...?

Default Pacifiers and daycare...?

I'm new here and was wondering if anyone could give me insight on whether you have been using pacifiers at daycare. I'm concerned because my DD is a fussy baby (actually colicky) and I'm trying to find something that will make it easier on my daycare provider. I've attempted to give her one on several occasions but it's obvious that she prefers me to the pacy.....

Thanks for any info you can provide....

Default Re: Pacifiers and daycare...?

Some breastfeeding mothers do give a baby a pacifier while they're at daycare. It can help to meet the need for comfort suckling that otherwise would be provided by mom. Others choose not to offer the pacifier, as sucking on the bottle and the pacifier, then going back to breastfeeding, can be difficult for a baby to figure out.

Of course, there are the infants who will outright refuse a pacifier anyway, thus making the choice for you. Here's some more information on it. http://www.llli.org/NB/NBNovDec95p172.html
    Last edited by @llli*LLLShannon; February 28th, 2008 at 06:13 AM. Reason: add link
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

We used a paci. It really helped us. The only problem is that DD still loves the paci (she is 15 months) and I know it will be hard to break her of the habit.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

I felt the same way. I have a colicky, fussy baby who nurses a lot for comfort. I didn't really want her to use a pacifier but started to worry that she would drive the caregiver insane if she didn't. Try as I might, though, I never have been able to get her to take one.

We gave our LO a paci at 6 weeks but he takes it only 10% of the time. He just doesn't like it. I'm going to still send it with him to DC when he starts in 2 weeks just in case they might need it.

Me (25)
    DH (26)
    DS Born December 5, 2007

Nursed 1 year and we are going on strong!

I am:
    , , , and

I give my ds a paci have since he was a couple of days old. We have not had any nipple confusion but of course all babes are different.

We used a pacifer for our DD at daycare. It was a necessity for her to make it through the day and through other situations in life where I couldn't be right there to soothe her through bfeeding. I read in the Happiest Toddler on the Block that sucking is a self reliant skill and that it is hereditary. A child doesn't have to give up his/her paci until age 3. My DD still uses one for naps and bedtime and she is 2 1/2. Now, I only wish my 5 month old DS would keep his in his mouth at daycare. This would help him out, but he just spits it out.

Megan

My LO uses a pacifier at home, in the car, and at daycare. She will ONLY take the NUK pacifier. So you may have to experiment with different kinds to find one your LO likes.

Good luck!
    ~*Sherri*~
    Mommy to Allison Rae

Born 9-18-07 @ 1:18am

BF for 18 months! Finally weaned!

Talk with your day care, tell them you Lo is colic and the problems you are experancing. I know with my daycare the told me not to worry that they see this all the time. I do give my LOa Paci adn it does help when she is fussy.
    1st Goal 3mo 12-30
    2nd Goal 6mo 3/30
    3rd Goal 9mo
    4th Goal 1 year

I am becasue you are and you are because i am!

all day and Love all night!
    with DH Corey for 1 1/2 years!

Smile Re: Pacifiers and daycare...?

Hi,

First I will say I am not a doctor and my advise is my personal opinion..

Since 2006 I have spend a lot of time on daycare/pacifiers and I believe in happy babies. So if your baby seams to like the pacifier then that is fine.

I am a Mom and entrepreneur that sell personalized pacifiers at www.coolpacifiers.com

You can learn much more about this solution to "pacifier ownership" and daycares at http://www.coolpacifiers.com/faq/

I hope you can learn more from my website.

Thank you and good luck!

Danielle Riiber

Quote Originally Posted by tana'smama View Post
    I'm new here and was wondering if anyone could give me insight on whether you have been using pacifiers at daycare. I'm concerned because my DD is a fussy baby (actually colicky) and I'm trying to find something that will make it easier on my daycare provider. I've attempted to give her one on several occasions but it's obvious that she prefers me to the pacy.....

Thanks for any info you can provide....