Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: No poop! Im worried!

Exclamation No poop! Im worried!

MY little girl normally goes anywhere from 3-7 days between bowel movements but i can hardly remember the last poo, its been about 2 weeks now! Shes gassy but no sign of poop, Shes never been constipated and i exclusively breastfeed, she just turned 5 months yesterday and i plan to call her doctor tommorrow but im worried. Ive tried massaging her stomach and doing the bicycle excersises, ive even tried wiping her butt alittle extra hoping it would stimulate something but it only stimulates gas and ive tried warm baths with a warm washcloth on her stomach. Im a first time mom and things have been pretty hectic lately and i just realized a couple of days ago that it was getting to be a bit too long for normal. Any advice/suggestions before i call her doctor?

Default Re: No poop! Im worried!

How are her wets? Have they gone down at all? Does she appear to be in any discomfort or pain?

Here is some info on constipation from LLL: http://www.llli.org/FAQ/bm.html

We've given DD apple-prune juice - just an ounce - to help with constipation before but that was after solids were introduced. Dr. Sears talks about a method on his web site. It involves holding the baby in chest-high, warm water and massaging the tummy. We've never tried it though. You can also try taking her temp with a rectal thermometer.

Of course, if you're concerned you should call the pedi.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Well shes teething so its hard to tell if thats the discomfort or not, the only sign of discomfort is when she is nursing (she usually lets the gas fly while nursing) and lately shes been picking up her pelvic and grunting and whining and yanking away, still passing gas tho otherwise that could be teething as well. She has the same amount of wet diapers from what i can tell, i switched brands recently but ive just went back to the regualar brand and so far, normal wet diapers... when this poop does come its gonna be everywhere for sure! Her 7 day poop strikes come out the top of diapers and have been known to get up under her arms in a matter of minutes, i cant imagine how this one will be, i hope im not out in public!
    I am going to check with her doctor before giving her any juices or medicine, but im wonering, im in the WIC program and they have a breastfeeding consultant there, should i call and ask them or should i call her pediatrician?
    Also the idea that she could be using EVERY OUNCE of my breastmilk with no waste at all, could that indicate she needs more of something? I planned to exclusively breastfeed until 6 months like the breastfeeding consultant at WIC said but if shes using it all up could she need more? MY mind says no but a small part is worried.

It does sound like she might be having some trouble passing her stools, b/c my LO makes similar sounds especially when nursing when she is a little backed up. I would definitely give your pedi a call.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.