Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Do I have to stop because of a virus?

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Do I have to stop because of a virus?

My DD is 16 months old and she only BFs about three times a day these days. Anyway, last Wednesday, she got a terrible virus. She threw up about four times in 24 hours. Then I got it the next day and got it much worse - I threw up something like 35 times in 8 hours! I was in such bad shape. Anyway, the ped looked at her and thought she was doing well. The vomiting had stopped very early on Thursday morning, just a few hours before mine started.

Well, today my DD vomited again. Just a little bit. But it freaked her out, I think, or burned her somehow because she cried and cried and cried. I was worried so I called the ped and he told me it was probably my BFing that "gave her the virus again."

First of all, I thought that you can't get a virus just after having it. And secondly, I thought that you couldn't pass illnesses through your breastmilk! I know that milk has anti-bacterial properties but this is not a bacterium. It's a virus.

So after all this time BFing, was I just wrong? Should I have just pumped and dumped for a few days?

Thanks.

Default Re: Do I have to stop because of a virus?

my understanding is like yours.. i heard that its best to keep feeding through illness because your passing your antibodies.

heres a link to kelly mom about it, it says to keep BF.

http://www.kellymom.com/health/illness/mom-illness.html
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kelmareuby View Post
    my understanding is like yours.. i heard that its best to keep feeding through illness because your passing your antibodies.

heres a link to kelly mom about it, it says to keep BF.

http://www.kellymom.com/health/illness/mom-illness.html
    Thanks. That's was totally my understanding. I don't know how peds can say this stuff with such confidence when they should know that they don't know.

By the way, the receptionist/physician's asst who mans the desk told me that if I only pump 1 oz (I don't let down for the pump very easily) then that's all I have in me! Argh!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*emama View Post
    Thanks. That's was totally my understanding. I don't know how peds can say this stuff with such confidence when they should know that they don't know.

By the way, the receptionist/physician's asst who mans the desk told me that if I only pump 1 oz (I don't let down for the pump very easily) then that's all I have in me! Argh!
    people are so retarted.
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

Yeah I think it was really dumb of them to tell you that! Your right.

Say you guys passed something back and forth, they are saying that it had nothing to do with hugging/kissing/changing diapers/being close to/breathing the same air as your child?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*emama View Post
    I was worried so I called the ped and he told me it was probably my BFing that "gave her the virus again."
    Not holding her or kissing her or touching her or changing her diaper or any of the myriad other types of physical contact- it was breastfeeding that made your baby sick.

I'd be much more likely to think that your baby wasn't completely over the virus, or that she's picked up something new, than to think she somehow got the same virus 2X in a row.

And your milk does have antiviral properties as well as antibacterial ones: every time you make an antibody to a pathogen, be it bacterial or viral, that antibody gets into your milk and helps your child fight disease. Mama's milk can only be helpful to your baby in your situation.

Hope you both feel better soon!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"