Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding and milk ss at 8-1/2 months

Default Breastfeeding and milk ss at 8-1/2 months

I have been bf-ing on demand and ds has also been on solids since he was 7 mos, but only once a day.

I understand that at this age, it is bb's suckling and not so much the hormones that stimulates milk production. If that's the case, would it be an issue with my milk ss, if my ds suckles for less than 5 min only? He's always had this 5 min per side (each feeding) and only feeds on 1 side every 2 hours. Lately, he has even cut from 5 min to sometimes just 3 min. WHAT IS HE DRINKING??!!!

Default Re: Breastfeeding and milk ss at 8-1/2 months

Quote Originally Posted by snort
    I have been bf-ing on demand and ds has also been on solids since he was 7 mos, but only once a day.

I understand that at this age, it is bb's suckling and not so much the hormones that stimulates milk production. If that's the case, would it be an issue with my milk ss, if my ds suckles for less than 5 min only? He's always had this 5 min per side (each feeding) and only feeds on 1 side every 2 hours. Lately, he has even cut from 5 min to sometimes just 3 min. WHAT IS HE DRINKING??!!!
    It is not just the suckling. Combine that with frequent milk removal. Your son is probably just getting really efficient at emptying your breasts. How is his diaper output? If you're worried, can you up the frequency of his nursing or encourage him to nurse from both sides?

I've noticed the same thing.. My son is 7 months old, and he's much much faster than he used to be. When he means business, he can do in 10 minutes what used to take him 45.

see, everyone else's baby takes 10 min! mine is a superfast drinker... just 3 min. i try to offer 2 sides now during the first feed just before his morning nap. and 2 sides at bedtime. everything else in between is fair game for him. he even goes for longer intervals in between...

my pd doesn't want me to look at diaper count anymore becos she says at this age they also have bigger bladder capacity. anyway, i think the best is to see how he grows yeah? he stagnated at 7.9kg for the past 2 months... that's why i was quite worried but it does seem as if he's put on some this week. thanks!

Default I'm wondering about mine too

My 6.5 mo old nurses 6 times a day, with just a few bites or sucks of fruit or cereal here and there...she seems content (except teething!) and sleeps through the night but she is so tiny! She only weighs 14 pounds, but she is chubby, just petite! Anyway, I've lost alot of weight (not dieting, just eating well and working out) but I'm getting concerned that my milk is becoming "skim" and I can't really pump more than 2 oz at a time now... am I losing my supply? Would increasing nursing frequency still stimulate more milk production or is it too late?

Default Re: I'm wondering about mine too

Quote Originally Posted by CJC2
    My 6.5 mo old nurses 6 times a day, with just a few bites or sucks of fruit or cereal here and there...she seems content (except teething!) and sleeps through the night but she is so tiny! She only weighs 14 pounds, but she is chubby, just petite! Anyway, I've lost alot of weight (not dieting, just eating well and working out) but I'm getting concerned that my milk is becoming "skim" and I can't really pump more than 2 oz at a time now... am I losing my supply? Would increasing nursing frequency still stimulate more milk production or is it too late?
    Your milk is just fine. Your body is giving your baby exactly what she needs ... especially if she's so healthy, happy and thriving!

Take a look at this thread here for info on a decreased pumping output:

Decreased Pumping Output Does NOT Mean Supply is Low

Also note - the fat and calorie content of your milk actually increases as your breast gets less full.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Talking Re: Breastfeeding and milk ss at 8-1/2 months

Guess I was just being paranoid! Thanks for the links, they helped...my bf confidence is back!

Quote Originally Posted by CJC2
    Guess I was just being paranoid! Thanks for the links, they helped...my bf confidence is back!
    Yay! You go mama!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

My ds is almost 9 months old and weigh about 22 pounds. He is a healthy happy and well fed baby. I work full time and pump at work. When I started pumping at work I would pump between 16 - 20 ounces per day and now I am down to about 13 ounces. I have some supply in the freezer but I am really bothered by the fact that I am not making enough milk for my little man. He is drinking about 15 ounces while at my mom's and he is eating one "meal" a day. I think I am drinking enough and I am eating oatmeal nearly every day but the supply just isn't keeping up. I really don't want to wean him yet; I am not ready to give up our time together like that. I hoped for three months and I am ecstatic that I have made it to 9 months!

For me 12 to 13oz is a normal pumping day at work. My 6.5 mo old son eats four times a day at 3 to 4 oz each feeding. I pump exactly what he needs. Does your baby drink all the breast milk when it was closer to the 20oz output? Have you done a couple of days at 12 oz vs the 20 oz? How did he react, fussy or fine? If he is happy, then don't worry. Just continue to watch him and maybe give a little more solids if you instincts tell you it is right.