Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: please help me

Unhappy please help me

so several things going on...
    one my ds has had green poop for at least 3 weeks. i'va read all about hindmilk/foremilk imbalance on kellymom and in dr newmans books. i've blocked i've pumped before he eats, breast compressions, massage. yesterday i was manipulating my breast after he ate and was getting fussy and i could get really thick milk - hindmilk i'm thinking. so i kept putting him back on the breast because obviously that's where the good stuff was.. but he just was not having it. it seems he's not interested in really sucking to get to the second or third letdown. - i can pump through my first letdown and he's satisfied to nurse for at least 15 min after that. why can't my breasts seem to let the good milk go? and/or why is he not sucking hard enough to get to the nutritious milk.
    he is gaining but not as much as he should. or as much as i thiink he should.
    can anybody help me? has anyone ever heard of someone not making hindmilk?
    today i'm thinking he must be either going through a growth spurt - he's 6 weeks and 4 days. and he has been on my breast all day. he will fall asleep and i will try to put him in his crib for a nap. 5 min later he is having a fit and the only thing that will calm him is my breast and he will suck for about 5 min and then just want to lay his head on my breast. i would really like to get up for a few min and not hear him cry like i'm killing him for not letting him sleep on me.

i even went so far as to get a bottle that the hospital gave me and feed him 15ml from it and then took it away because that is not what i wanted to do.
    i'm at the braking point with why i can't get my son to have a normal bowel movement.

Default Re: please help me

Green stool isn't abnormal...6 weeks in a time when most have a growth spurt too. What was his weight at birth versus now? I am not sure that your baby isn't getting hindmilk, what makes you believe he isn't? I assume it is because the time he is spending you are drawing that conculsion but that isn't a good way to tell. The best way to ensure baby is getting hindmilk is by offering breast on demand. As far as getting him to rest without being held you can try laying with him until he falls asleep and then getting up or resting with him and allowing him to nurse. Or the other thing is try a sling that way you can go about and he can rest but you are hands free. Most important is pat yourself on the back for the hard work up to this point. 6 to 8 weeks is the hardest part. You made it! You are doing a wonderful and selfless thing for the best of your baby-- what a great mom you are!!!!!
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work

What does the green poop look like? my son is 4 months and his poop has always gone between green and yellow. he is gaining weight fine and the ped. said the green poop was normal, so I have stopped making myself crazy about hindmilk. is your baby not gaining weight.

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

My DD had green poop at about the same age and I worried and worried about it. The ped said it wasn't anything to be concerned with. I kept BFing and it all eventually went back to the normal color. Definitely don't give up.

Good luck!

my LO had green poop at that age too, hes 4 months now and sometimes its green and sometimes its not.

maybe something your eating??

it will get better mama your LO is just needing your love and comfort right now.

keep up the good work your doing a GREAT job!
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

thanks for the feedback first off!
    i haven't had him weighed since his one month appointment last monday so almost 2 weeks. at that appointment he had gained 12oz in 27 days.
    i wasn't worried about the green poop but everything i read and everyone i talk to say if it's consistant it's bad and that there isn't enough hindmilk if it's green. he hasn't had a not green poop in weeks. the poop seems to have like flakes of green. he poops pretty often almost everytime he eats. i got to witness the last one cause i was changing him and it was all bubbly and brightish green. kinda like broccoli. it can be dark green too though.
    a sling would be great but we really can't afford anything right now. i actually had to buy hand me down nursing bras because with me not working right now we are strapped.
    about sleeping with me.. i don't feel comfortable with that because we have a really high bed, and my husband is like a tornado when he sleeps which scares me to have ds in the bed. and again we don't have any money so we can't afford to buy more things like a sidecar or any of those other nifty things.
    being broke stinks!

have you tried swaddling him?
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

he loves to be swaddled. today it's not working.
    for several nights he was pretty content with being swaddled and being put down before he fell asleep and he would fall asleep and stay that way for several hours. today it's a whole different story. he's not happy with anything except being at the breast. it doesn't help that my husband went out of town today and won't be back home til thursday or friday. so i can't even get a little help from him. i just have to run and do everything before he figures out that i'm not right there.

I think it's probably normal for him. Usually with a hind milk imbalance you also have other symptoms (like green frothy stool, really uncomfortable gas, REALLY fussy baby) and also if it's been like this for him awhile then it's probably HIS normal.

If you guys can find/get a few yards of material you can make a sling/wrap yourself. It can be cheap to make one and they are totally worth it! Check out this site for some info on making one. mamatoto.org

Probably a growth spurt like your thinking, with nursing all day. Also my LO never stayed at the breast for a long time, he's just not a comfort nurser. So if he's gaining weight and having a good amount of diapers that's usually a sign that all is well.

thank you so much for the sling website! while i don't have that much fabric i did cut up a t-shirt and made a quick one til i could get some fabric tomorrow..
    also thanks for the reassurance on the green poop... it has eased my mind.