Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 10 months - strange nursing habits

Question 10 months - strange nursing habits

DS is 10 months...getting close to our goal of one year! However, his nursing habits have gotten strange. He has only taken 5 oz. tops the whole 9 hours at daycare these past few days...pushes the bottle away. He had been taking 10 oz. At home, he nurses on demand, to sleep, and through the night (wakes up 4-5 times, will only be soothed with nursing for a bit). However, during waking hours, he whines and pulls on my shirt to nurse every 1/2 hour to an hour (during the evening). Then he will want to stand or kneel to nurse, and he will switch breasts every few seconds or minute. And he will only nurse for maybe 5 minutes, TOPS. He does this at night, too, the back and forth on the 2 breasts. I try to offer him the same one, but he gets cranky. I want him to get enough hind milk, and he nurses longer at night, but I don't know why he is snacking constantly, switching breasts constantly and nursing for such short timeframes. Any suggestions? It's hard to get stuff done in the evenings with his constant demands to nurse. And I want him to get to the hind milk! But he won't stay on one breast.
    Mama to William James born January 2nd, 2008
    Nursed 2 years, 2 months! and I think we're done!
    And our new Lucy Jane born March 30th, 2010, 7 lb. 4 oz., 20.5 inches

Pro-breastfeeding quotes:
    http://www.quotegarden.com/breastfeeding.html

Default Re: 10 months - strange nursing habits

Sounds like you have an independent little guy there! He wants his mama-milk, but he wants it in his favorite container and he wants it his way, which means crazy nursing habits and constant demands. It's probably a phase that will pass eventually, but at 10 months I think it's okay to start setting some boundaries about nursing- like maybe keeping 1 breast covered while he nurses on the other one. That way he won't be able to play that kooky switcheroo game on you.

I wouldn't worry too much about the hindmilk issue- he's probably getting plenty of it, only he's getting it a little at a time rather than all at once. If you allow your son to nurse as he wishes, he's going to make sure that he gets himself a full meal.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Do you think you have either under supply or over supply issues?

If you don't, I wouldn't worry about the hind milk.

Is he teething??? I know that can greatly affect nursing.

Good luck!

Great job momma making it to 10 months. That's no small feat!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    It's probably a phase that will pass eventually, but at 10 months I think it's okay to start setting some boundaries about nursing- like maybe keeping 1 breast covered while he nurses on the other one. That way he won't be able to play that kooky switcheroo game on you.

DS is 9 months and I had to start keeping one breast covered and remove his hand if he started grabbing at the one he wasn't nursing on. I did have to start setting boundaries. I generally nurse in the side-lying position and sometimes if he is insistent on switching around, I trick him. Say I'm nursing him from the right and he wants the left, I'll roll over and bring him to that side of me, but roll my right breast over so he is still nursing from it and not the left, like he thinks I am. It's not real comfortable, but it works!
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln

Thanks....I will try fooling him, I guess. He is an independent guy, as pp said, and SMART, so I don't know how easily I can fool him. He might be teething. He has his first 4 through, and I don't know which ones generally come next. I don't have over or undersupply as far as I can tell. Hard to set boundaries, with and independent, smart, stubborn little guy, but I should start now, I guess! It will only get more challenging, I am sure.
    Mama to William James born January 2nd, 2008
    Nursed 2 years, 2 months! and I think we're done!
    And our new Lucy Jane born March 30th, 2010, 7 lb. 4 oz., 20.5 inches

Pro-breastfeeding quotes:
    http://www.quotegarden.com/breastfeeding.html

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*dreame View Post
    It will only get more challenging, I am sure.
    Oh yes, and does it ever!! Especially when they are two like DD is.
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln

DS did that when he was 10 months too. he always took EBM from a bottle... but a little over a month ago he started not eating much of it. he only wanted to nurse.

after a while of him not taking the bottle, DH just set him down on the floor (or in bed if he was putting him down) and gave him the bottle and let him do it on his own and he took it just fine that way. HTH some
    I'm Jamie, and im Proud to be:
    Carter's SAHM since 11-27-07 and now to Eli too, since 7-25-11
    Cody's Wife since 8-28-08

and and

my healthy boys don't get vaccines