Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: never-ending oversupply

Default never-ending oversupply

My son is 12 weeks old today and is still having to deal with my oversupply. I've worked on it with an LC for over two months--done block feeding (as long as 14 hours!), used different breastfeeding positions, ingested sage tea and tincture, took Sudafed and nothing has worked. My LC says the only step left is to take birth control to try to decrease my prolactin levels but I am adamant against doing this.
    If your son had green watery poops at every feeding, was fussy since birth and had reflux would you switch to formula?
    I'm really at my wit's end
    On the few occasions when I've pumped I average between 12-14 ounces in 7-10 minutes, and it's been mostly foremilk.
    I really don't know if continuing to BF is best since my son has so much discomfort and obviously he's not able to ingest the nutrients from my BM (green poo).
    Help.
    Anyone else deal with this kind of ridiculous oversupply?

Default Re: never-ending oversupply

im sorry you are having to deal with this mama

if you keep pumping do you get hindmilk eventually? or does it seem to just never show up?

ive never dealt with this problem myself.... ive only had low supply issues. you could send some of that milk my way if you want!! my son is always in need of some extra booboo.

i dont have any advice, sorry just wanted to send you 's
    I'm Jamie, and im Proud to be:
    Carter's SAHM since 11-27-07 and now to Eli too, since 7-25-11
    Cody's Wife since 8-28-08

and and

my healthy boys don't get vaccines

I also have an oversupply issue so I just wanted to give you a

I don't have as much of a difficulty as you, so I can't completely relate, but personally, I would NOT switch to formula. I think your lo is still getting some nutrients and certainly antibodies from your milk. You would have struggles with formula as well, just different kinds of problems (illness, constipation, difficulty with bottle feeding, COST$$$ etc.)

Now, all that being said, if you feel like your health and your baby's health is in question, then of course, you need to do what's best for you.

This is just my humble opinion.

Here's something VERY encouraging! From what I've read, even the worst oversupply issue start to even out between 3-4 months. You're almost there, if your lo is just 12 weeks.

I know that rj's mom on this site has had a lot of trouble with oversupply. YOu could private message her for some support.

Please feel free to also private message me.

I hope that helps. Don't worry, you're not alone!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

DD is about the same age as your LO, and we've been battling oversupply for a while as well...although yours seems to be a bit worse than mine!! HUGS!! I'm hoping that it will all even out between 3-4 months for us.

Block feeding has not seemed to help us either. But I started something new today that might help...do you feed your LO on both breasts at each feeding? I've had so much milk lately that DD has filled up on one breast before I even noticed what was going on, so today I decided to make her feed on both breasts again. I've been stopping her when I notice her slowing down, burping her, and then switching breasts. This seems to be working okay for us...I'm experiencing a little engorgement, but less leaking than usual, which I appreciate!!

Good luck with this, I wish you the best!!

I'm a full-time single mama and a full-time law student!! Loving every minute!!

Mommy to Izzy , born 8/23/08!!! Check out our blog!

BW: 8lbs. 8oz., 20 in.
    3 months: 11 lbs. 14oz., 23 1/4 in.
    6 months: 17 lbs. 9oz., 26 1/2 in.
    9 months: 20 lbs. 0 oz., 27 in.
    12 months: 22 lbs. 12 oz., 28 3/4 in.
    15 months: 25 lbs. 12 oz., 29 3/4 in.

for 18+ months! Now we only nurse on one side because mama's other side is predisposed to recurring mastitis!!