Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Having Surgery, What Should I Do?

Default Having Surgery, What Should I Do?

Here's the deal...My son is currently 7.5 months old and will be 10 days shy of 9 months old when I have surgery.

I am having my tonsils out and my uvula made smaller. My Dr. said that I will be on codeine which I can't take while nursing. This is fine, I can do without pain meds or ask for percocet, however, I know that I won't be able to eat for a few days and it will be liquids only so I'm afraid that I am going to dry up.

My son has had formula from the beginning due to jaundice an then since I am a FTM I didn't know how often I should pump, etc and I had no stash when I came back to work and couldn't pump enough for him while at work.

My dilemma is do I wean him now or do I just wait and see what happens? I really would like to continue nursing, however, I'm afraid that I will be too tired or in more pain than I think or will dry up and will have to do it abruptly and do not want to do that to him?

Advice? Suggestions?

Default Re: Having Surgery, What Should I Do?

Don't give up if you're not ready to!

I dont know the relation between a liquid diet and supply, but hopefully someone else will have some advice about that.

You can pump if you're not able to nurse your lo. Maybe you should look into renting a hospital grade pump for when you are recovering so you can make sure that you are completly emptying your breasts. I think this will help with suppy.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

The first question I thought of was, do you have to have your tonsils out NOW? Can you wait a few months, a year?

I had my tonsils out when I was 13 and it was more than a few days that I couldn't eat - I was totally out of normal eating for more than two weeks. My younger brother was able to eat solid foods after a week.
    This is the the main reason, that if it were me, I'd really get more info on waiting. I had HUGE tonsils, and were always infected so mine were really bad. We ended up putting it off until a school break though.

That said! Look into maybe renting a pump for that time your out, or if you have a double electric pump that should work. You should pump every time you miss a nursing session, and the average time is 15-20 minutes to pump.

Just drink drink drink as much as you can, eat ice chips 24/7 (they feel good), warm broth was good but it was a few days until I could eat it without it really hurting. They told my mom and grandma to buy popcicles but I couldn't eat them because of the dye - so making your own from fruit puree would be the way I'd go now. You could blend a little wheat germ in there to help you too.

I would wait to see what happens, even if you don't have a lot of milk he could comfort nurse and help your supply recover. I'm sure that some close cuddly time will be reassuring for him too.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bunnyscooltes View Post
    The first question I thought of was, do you have to have your tonsils out NOW? Can you wait a few months, a year?

I had my tonsils out when I was 13 and it was more than a few days that I couldn't eat - I was totally out of normal eating for more than two weeks. My younger brother was able to eat solid foods after a week.
    This is the the main reason, that if it were me, I'd really get more info on waiting. I had HUGE tonsils, and were always infected so mine were really bad. We ended up putting it off until a school break though.

That said! Look into maybe renting a pump for that time your out, or if you have a double electric pump that should work. You should pump every time you miss a nursing session, and the average time is 15-20 minutes to pump.

Just drink drink drink as much as you can, eat ice chips 24/7 (they feel good), warm broth was good but it was a few days until I could eat it without it really hurting. They told my mom and grandma to buy popcicles but I couldn't eat them because of the dye - so making your own from fruit puree would be the way I'd go now. You could blend a little wheat germ in there to help you too.

I would wait to see what happens, even if you don't have a lot of milk he could comfort nurse and help your supply recover. I'm sure that some close cuddly time will be reassuring for him too.
    Yes, I have to do it now, I was going to do it before I came back to work, but put it off then because he was too little. I have a Medela Freestyle pump that I use to pump at work.

I think I'm just so scared to wait and see and then if I am more out of it or in more pain then I think that it will just be traumatic for him. Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*johnsmom0326 View Post
    Yes, I have to do it now, I was going to do it before I came back to work, but put it off then because he was too little. I have a Medela Freestyle pump that I use to pump at work.

I think I'm just so scared to wait and see and then if I am more out of it or in more pain then I think that it will just be traumatic for him. Thanks for your help.
    I understand, you don't want to have to wean him suddenly if your out of it afterwards. You gotta do what your gut tells you to.
    It might be different for you but I didn't take really anything for pain after a day or so. And really felt fine (abet tired), eating was what hurt.
    Really hoping things go well for you!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*johnsmom0326 View Post
    My Dr. said that I will be on codeine which I can't take while nursing. This is fine, I can do without pain meds or ask for percocet, however, I know that I won't be able to eat for a few days and it will be liquids only so I'm afraid that I am going to dry up.
    Here is this link about pain meds, and you could always check the Hale book or website.

And here is this about the concern over food and liquids and such. This is from Dr. Newman

2. A breastfeeding mother has to eat more in order to make enough milk. Not true! Women on even very low calorie diets usually make enough milk, at least until the mother's calorie intake becomes critically low for a prolonged period of time. Generally, the baby will get what he needs. Some women worry that if they eat poorly for a few days this also will affect their milk. There is no need for concern. Such variations will not affect milk supply or quality. It is commonly said that women need to eat 500 extra calories a day in order to breastfeed. This is not true. Some women do eat more when they breastfeed, but others do not, and some even eat less, without any harm done to the mother or baby or the milk supply. The mother should eat a balanced diet dictated by her appetite. Rules about eating just make breastfeeding unnecessarily complicated.
    Good luck!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    Here is this link about pain meds, and you could always check the Hale book or website.

And here is this about the concern over food and liquids and such. This is from Dr. Newman

Good luck!
    Thank you so much!! That makes things clearer for me and I feel better, I really wasn't ready to wean him.