Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coffee and breastfeeding

Default Coffee and breastfeeding

When I was pregnant, I did not drink any coffee to be on the safe side. I will be going back to work soon and I just need my coffee! Is it safe to drink coffee? How long does it last in the system? Do you guys drink coffee?
    Patrick born on 8/24/08 at 7 lbs. 14 oz.
    1 year!
    Charlotte born on 11/11/10 at 7 lbs. 10 oz.
    1 month

Default Re: Coffee and breastfeeding

I drank coffee while I nursed but kept it limited to just a cup and made sure I drank plenty of water too!!
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

I drink tea Here is a great link about caffeine and breastfeeding
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

I drank coffee while I nursed, but only a cup or two and I tried to avoid the gourmet brands (like Starbucks) that have a whoooole lot more caffeine than regular coffee. I also noticed that if I drank it after a certain time my daughter would wake more frequently at night so I had to give up my afternoon pick-me-up cup and limit myself to just a morning cup.

Watch your baby to see if there are any signs of disruption and go lightly.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I have always wondered the same thing...
    I did the same being pregnant, I avoided caffeine, but now with less "zzz" i NEED my coffee in the morning!
    I usualy take 1-2 home brew coffee and I did not notice any changes in my baby fusiness. ( Only on myself when i drink a coffee after 2-3 Pm I have a hard time to fall asleep at night )

I looked up some info on kelly mom ...
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/caffeine.html

IMO, enjoy coffee ( if baby can tolerate it! )
    Mother to 2 beautiful angels
    (born on the 27th of January 2006) our little drama King
    ( Born on the 23rd of August 2008) our new addition!
    At birth: 7lbs and 13 onces, 2 weeks: 8lbs and 10 ounces, 1 month: 11 lbs, 2 month:14 lbs, 4 month 17 lbs 10 onces

and and sometimes when too tired

Just discovered cloth !

I avoided it while pregnant, but drank a cup in the mornings after Thomas was born, and it didn't seem to cause any problems for him sleeping, etc. I still drink a cup (and sometimes another lol) in the morning, but he only nurses at night now, if he nurses, so I give myself a little more latitude with it.

i drink coffee but keep it limited to maybe one cup a day. i love it.
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

When Nolan was first born I started drinking it. He wasn't sleeping very well so the doc said go off for two-three weeks and see if it changes. Three weeks later he was EXACTLY the same so back to the coffee I went!

We have never seen any effects on him from the caffeine. he still sleeps/naps very well and isn't overly excitable. They said it effects different children in different ways so I guess you just have to see.
    Last edited by @llli*nolies.mama; November 7th, 2008 at 02:27 PM.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I am a coffe addict! Before I was pregnant with DS I drank 6 cups a day, sometimes more. Since I've been pregnant & BFing I have only had decaf except on occasions where I was driving a long way & needed the jolt & it always caused sleep/fussiness issues with my kids. Oh well, decaf is still something!
    Steff, proud mom to:
    Ian (6) born naturally
    breastfed from 7/3/06 to 6/16/08
    &
    Erin (4) born naturally (with Hypnobirthing)
    breastfed from 5/18/08 to around 5/18/10
    &
    Seamus (3), my allergy baby, born naturally (with slacker Hypnobirthing) breastfed from 12/28/09 to 8/20/11
    &
    Connor (1) breastfed from 12/28/11 to current

Ian's age ticker Erin's age ticker Seamus' age ticker
    Connor's age ticker

A LLL source on caffeine
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/caffeine.html

Caffeine did affect the sleep of both my lo.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.