Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this normal procedure now?

Default Is this normal procedure now?

I was slightly disturbed this evening while visiting my very young grandniece who gave birth today at 2 p.m. and I found out the baby had not yet been offered the breast. I visited at 8 p.m.. While I was there, a nurse in the room said it could be hours before the baby would indicate she was ready to nurse and not to worry about not having yet nursed. I was under the impression that babies should be put to the breast as soon as possible after delivery, hers was a natural birth and both were doing fine. The hospital is a top notch facility. Is this normal procedure for breastfeeding in this day and age or is my memory slipping? I recommended to my grandniece that she contact LLL about 6 weeks ago, she didn't.

Default Re: Is this normal procedure now?

Not standard at all. When I had both of my daughters, I was advised and helped to offer the breast as soon me and the baby were cleaned up. Same with all my girfriends when they delivered. That is how to get the best start bf.

That's strange.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mammaof2 View Post
    Not standard at all. When I had both of my daughters, I was advised and helped to offer the breast as soon me and the baby were cleaned up. Same with all my girfriends when they delivered. That is how to get the best start bf.

That's strange.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Yep, it's still normal procedure to offer the breast as soon as the baby is born, and most babies will nurse soon after birth. Some will not, though- particularly ones who have been over-vigorously suctioned. Tell your grandneice to be patient, to do lots and lots of skin-to-skin contact to encourage the baby to latch, and not to let her baby out of her sight! Sometimes a well-meaning nurse will whisk the baby off to the nursery "just so mom can get some rest," and then someone slips the baby a bottle and starts to derail the nursing relationship.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yup...sounds weird to me, too. Where I am, every time I've given birth the nurse has reminded me to give baby the breast right away...even 10 years ago when my oldest was born.
    Mama to a ten year old girl, 7 year old boy and one boob addict.

Happily married to the best man *ever* for 13 years.

I like soup .