Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: creating bad habits??

Default creating bad habits??

Hi
    I have a quick question about BF. At night I always nurse my daugther to sleep and she sleeps very good at night. And its usuallya long feed, up to an hour at timesm I'm sure some of that is spent not drinking just sucking. Lately she seems to be more agitated and it sometimes takes even longer than an hour to get her to sleep. My question was: Could feeding her when she's that agitated be creating bad eating habits for the future? I'm afraid that she's tired and overeating because she's eating for comfort if she's frustrated and tired.
    What do you think?

Mel

Default Re: creating bad habits??

I don't think it's causing bad habits for the future. We breastfeed to fill all kinds of different needs for our babies and comfort is one of them How old is your daughter?

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Could feeding her when she's that agitated be creating bad eating habits for the future?
    No, absolutely not. As the PP said, babies nurse not only for nutrition but for comfort as well. You might think "Oh, that's going to turn my baby into an adult who eats whenever she's upset," but that doesn't seem to be how it works. Breastfed babies are much less likely to grow into obese children/adults, so whatever habits your baby is forming now are good ones for life!

I'm afraid that she's tired and overeating because she's eating for comfort if she's frustrated and tired.
    A baby who is nursing for comfort gets very little milk compared to a baby who is eating because she's hungry. A baby who is hungry sucks hard and deep, and stimulates mom to let down big gushes of milk. A baby who is nursing for comfort sucks slowly, shallowly, and gently, and gets a tiny trickle of milk. This is different from a baby who is feeding from a bottle, which sends forth a fast flow of milk regardless of how the baby is sucking. That's why bottlefed babies can be overfed, but breastfed ones can't.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I think you should stop worrying about future bad habits. Instead, consider if this is working for you two now. I was in the same boat as you 1,5 month ago... I'd happily BF my LO to sleep for a long time, but suddenly it would take her AGES to fall asleep... very annoying for me and she seemed to become annoyed, too.

So instead I started unlatching her when she was starting to close her eyes, and in a few weeks I could nurse her for 10 minutes in the living room and carry her to bed. I never thought I'd be able to do that, but it really wasn't a big deal for us. Btw, the Pantley removal technique (stick in your finger to relieve pressure, keep a finger under baby´s chin to keep mouth closed, count to ten, if baby still fusses after that, offer breast again. Try again 30-60 sec. later) proved very helpful.