Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is nursing 4 times a day enough?

Default Is nursing 4 times a day enough?

Is nursing 4 times a day enough for my 17 month old boy? I mean no cow milk or formula supplement. I'm thinking of adding soy milk because he's allergic to whole milk (diaper rash). Do I need to give him soy milk at all?
    Thanks

Default Re: Is nursing 4 times a day enough?

You don't have to give him milk as long as he is getting good sources of calcium and vitamin D from other things! We only nurse 3-5 times per day and ds is 22 months. It's been that way for quite some time!

Way to go on making it so far!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextende...html#nutrition

448ml is just over 15oz, or a little less than 2 cups. If you can estimate how much BM your LO gets per feeding, you can work out how much calcium, protein, etc he is getting.

My LO gets diarrhea and painful gas with dairy, so he drinks soy milk and rice milk fortified with calcium and vitamin D. I buy unsweetened varities, you have to check the labels. Also, be aware that rice milk has a lot less protein. He's 26 months now and still doesn't handle cows milk well, but now that his digestive system is more mature, he is able to handle goats cheese, cows cheese and yogurt in moderation.

Other options are hemp milk (which is more expensive) and almond milk. You can also find fruit juices fortified with calcium.

How much calcium:
    http://www.bchealthguide.org/healthf...e68e.stm#hf002
    Food sources of calcium:
    http://www.bchealthguide.org/healthf...e68e.stm#hf006
    Emma

J from Aug '06 to Nov '08 and S from April 2009

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*purple.monkey View Post
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextende...html#nutrition

If you can estimate how much BM your LO gets per feeding
    How can I know it? When I pump milk, if I get lucky (that I feel let down during pumping), I would get 4 oz from both sides but that doesn't happen often. I know that my supply is lower since he goes to the daycare but everytime he nurses, my breasts become full and normally he will nurse until they're soft. So it means he should get about 4 oz per nursing right?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*naw.pan View Post
    How can I know it? When I pump milk, if I get lucky (that I feel let down during pumping), I would get 4 oz from both sides but that doesn't happen often. I know that my supply is lower since he goes to the daycare but everytime he nurses, my breasts become full and normally he will nurse until they're soft. So it means he should get about 4 oz per nursing right?
    Thanks
    Your child is much more efficient at the breast than a pump, so generally your child is getting more milk than what you can pump in a normal session. This varies from mother/child to mother/child (obviously, as everything does ). I'm not exactly sure how you would tell how much your child is getting while nursing besides a breastfeeding scale. Are there any available to rent in your area?
    ~Jaime~
    AP Mommy of
    Madison Anne
    February 8th, 2008

Exclusively since Day 1!

We love , and cloth diapering! !

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*newmamanlovinit View Post
    a breastfeeding scale.
    What is the breastfeeding scale and how does it work?
    Thanks

I, too, have read the kellymom page where it tells all about what's in 448 mL of BM. I'm confused. Elsewhere I've read that LO doesn't need another source of milk if LO is nursing about 4 times per day. It seems reasonable to estimate that 4 nursings per day probably equal about 448 mL (if you consider they probably get at least 4 oz per feeding and 448 mL is almost 16 oz). If 448 mL only gives them 1/3 of their calcium requirements, then that seems really deficient and LO would certainly need another source of calcium. I thought BM was the best milk there is, but this would seem to indicate it has less calcium than even regular milk. Doesn't 8 oz of regular cow's milk give you about 30% of RDA for calcium? I'm sooo confused.

What is the breastfeeding scale and how does it work?
    Thanks
    It's a scale, much like the one at your Ped's office that weighs your baby, but it works a little differently. You would weigh your baby before nursing, then again afterwards, and it will tell you how much BM they ate. I've never used one myself, only had a Lactation Consultant weigh my DD for her initial BF evaluation at the hospital at 4 days post partum to make sure she was eating efficiently enough.
    ~Jaime~
    AP Mommy of
    Madison Anne
    February 8th, 2008

Exclusively since Day 1!

We love , and cloth diapering! !

Thanks
    I never figured it out myself, I just posted the link to give you an idea of nutrient content. As a pp said, you can assume your LO gets more than the pump would but I never knew how much. I assumed around 4oz a feeding, which meant my LO needed extra calcium, so I give him goat cheese, soy yogurt, etc.
    Emma

J from Aug '06 to Nov '08 and S from April 2009

fwiw, my pedi said no cow/other milk needed, if lo is still nursing that frequently.
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...