Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No fruits?

Default No fruits?

Is it okay that DD doesn't like fruit? I've tried everything, the jarred kind, pureed at home, etc and she just doesn't like it. Now you put a veggie in front of her and she'll inhale it. At what point should I worry that she's not eating fruits?
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)

Default Re: No fruits?

I wouldn't worry about the fact that she's not interested in fruits just yet. That could change at any time, and I think most mom's are worried because their babies will eat fruits but not veggies.

Have you tried letting her self feed any fruits? Maybe a thin slice of banana or small chunks she can hold and bite off of watermelon? At the very least she'll have fun playing with it.

Check out this link here for more info on self feeding ...

Finger Foods

Baby Led Introduction to Solids

Since most of a baby's solid intake during their first 12 months is for play and experimentation, and the bulk of nutrtion comes from your milk, I would think there is nothing to be concerned about.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

My DS prefers veggies over fruit. What about avocados? Taste like a vegtable, but they are technically a fruit. Great fats for baby too. These are my DS's favorite. They are pricy, but I run 2 or 3 through the food processor (thinning with some water), and then freeze in the ice cube-like trays for making baby food. DS also loves peaches. Buy organic as these are on the top 10 list for pesticides. In the end, I think if baby eats a variety of colors (orange, green, yellow) it is better than whether it's a fruit or vegatable.

As far as I know, there is no real difference btwn fruits and veggies. Especally since many of what most people think of as veggies are actually fruits: tomatoes, peppers, cucumber, squash, zucchini. And then there's the people who'll try to tell you that rhubarb and even sweet potatoes are fruit (when clearly they're not).

Quote Originally Posted by Feorsteorra
    As far as I know, there is no real difference btwn fruits and veggies. Especally since many of what most people think of as veggies are actually fruits: tomatoes, peppers, cucumber, squash, zucchini. And then there's the people who'll try to tell you that rhubarb and even sweet potatoes are fruit (when clearly they're not).
    Yeah, I think you are right, nutrtionally speaking. It just depends on the specific fruit or vegetable as to the vitamin, mineral, etc. content. I believe a "Fruit" is the fruiting body of a plant - that is, the part that is capable of reproducing the plant. A "Vegetable" is the plant itself ... the stem, leaves, root etc. If you're at all interested here is an explanation in the difference:

"A fruit is the matured ovary of a flower, containing the seed. After fertilization takes place and the embryo (plantlet) has begun to develop, the surrounding ovule becomes the fruit.

A vegetable is considered to be edible roots, tubers, stems, leaves, fruits, seeds, flower clusters, and other softer plant parts. In common usage, however, there is no exact distinction between a vegetable and a fruit. The usual example is the tomato, which is a fruit, but is eaten as a vegetable, as are cucumbers, peppers, melons, and squashes. The classification of plants as vegetables is largely determined by custom, culture, and usage."

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

will she drink a fruit shake? My kids like bananna and watermellon mixed with some ice in the blender.

Wow, thank you all for the wonderful replies and suggestions! I am always blown away with the support that I receive here. It's great!! I think I have found a way to get DD to eat some fruits. I bought her some of those mesh teethers that you can put ice or food into. She will now eat banana, apple and peaches through those. It's so weird though, if I offer it without putting it into the teether, she won't touch it. I just don't want her getting stuck in a rut and being one of those picky eaters. I can see her doing that too, she is already preferring green beans and sweet potatoes over anything else. Such a silly girl!!

Andrea, as for the fruit shakes, how did your kids eat them? In a sippy? With a spoon? It's something I'd like to try but need more info.

TIA!
    Amber

now that they are older they use a straw. but if you make them thick you could use a spoon.
    Add some breastmilk to the blender and it would be a real good treat.

Thanks Andrea! I might freeze some breast milk and use that as the ice. Also, does anyone know anything about introducing grapes? I know they're a choking hazzard but are they an allergy risk? I figure if I peel them and stick them in her mesh teether that the choking risk is removed but didn't know about the allergy issue.
    Amber

Smile Re: No fruits?

When it comes down to it anything is a potential allergan. Typically its those foods that are darker/brighter in color, ie tomatoes, oranges etc.