Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: spotting 2+ weeks...should i worry?

Default spotting 2+ weeks...should i worry?

I was EBF until DS started solids about a month and a half ago. Right around the same time I got an IUD (the kind with hormones) and but had no bleeding or spotting of any kind at the time. DS still nurses 4-5 times a day and I pump 1-2 times a day but he sleeps through the night so I'm going about 8-9 hours without BFing/pumping. About 2.5 weeks ago I started spotting really lightly and thought my period was returning. Except the bleeding hasn't gotten any heavier but hasn't stopped either. If it was heavier and going on this long I'd have gone to the doctor without hesitating, but the bleeding is so minimal that I feel like I'll probably go and she'll just say that it's normal. Has anyone else experienced something like this? Should I be more concerned?

Default Re: spotting 2+ weeks...should i worry?

If you didn't have an IUD I'd probably say to just wait and see a little longer. If your LO started solids recently I'd think it was probably your body adjusting to your baby's changing nursing patterns with starting solids. However, because of the IUD, if it were me, I'd give the doc a call. Could you be pregnant? I think irregular bleeding is a known side effect of the IUD so it's probably just that, but I'd still call.

I had an IUD placed about 2 weeks ago and have been spotting since. I was told its normal for as long as up to 6 months to spot and have irregular bleeding(i was just there yesterday). Hope that helps. Did you just have it placed?

IUD can lead to spotting, some have less ( MIRENA).
    I would certainly do a pregancy test if you were not using any other method of contraception prior to the IUD.
    Do you have pain in your abdomen, any abnormal discharge besides the bleeding, or fever? those could be signs of infections... in any case i would contact your doctor

good luck!
    Mother to 2 beautiful angels
    (born on the 27th of January 2006) our little drama King
    ( Born on the 23rd of August 2008) our new addition!
    At birth: 7lbs and 13 onces, 2 weeks: 8lbs and 10 ounces, 1 month: 11 lbs, 2 month:14 lbs, 4 month 17 lbs 10 onces

and and sometimes when too tired

Just discovered cloth !

I had the Mirena IUD put in about 7 weeks ago. I had heavy bleeding for the first 4 weeks. Then it stopped, and now I have been bleeding again like a regular period for about 5 days. I did see the doctor, and both times he said it was perfectly normal to experience bleeding off and on, heavy or light for the first 3-6 months. After that, if it doesn't slow down considerably or stop altogether, he said to come in and get checked out. That's also what I heard from a couple friends who had it put it. They also said that with this in, the bleeding could happen whether youre EBF or not. So I wouldn't worry right now, especially if you're just spotting.
    I'm Shannon!
    Single, babywearing, barefoot in the grass mama to 3 wonderful babies!
    Abby 11-25-03
    Terry 9-29-06
    Kate 6-12-08
    and my Jack 11-17-02, gone to God at 11 weeks

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about."

"I am going to be happy today, though the skies may be cloudy or gray. No matter what comes my way, I am going to be happy today."

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the advice. I didn't have any bleeding at all when I had it put in (it is Mirena) and only now, about 2 months later, have this spotting and no other discharge. I have no pain or fever, I would have definitely gone to the doctor in that case.

The spotting isn't even enough to soil a pantliner...I only even notice it when I wipe (sorry...that sounds like TMI but is relevant I guess). I took a pregnancy test before having the IUD put in (negative result) and we were using condoms before that anyway. I suppose I could take another one now to be sure....

I had a friend who got her Mirena put in 6 weeks after giving birth , they were using condoms prior to insert, and they did a pregancy test before inserting ( wich was negative).. but low and behold , a few weeks later she was pregant! The doctor thinks that she was pregnant when they inserted the Mirena ( condoms are'nt 100% and it was too early for a positive pregn test ...) luckily, they removed the device and the pregancy went well after that!
    Mother to 2 beautiful angels
    (born on the 27th of January 2006) our little drama King
    ( Born on the 23rd of August 2008) our new addition!
    At birth: 7lbs and 13 onces, 2 weeks: 8lbs and 10 ounces, 1 month: 11 lbs, 2 month:14 lbs, 4 month 17 lbs 10 onces

and and sometimes when too tired

Just discovered cloth !