Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update-Long

Default Update-Long

Hi Everyone,
    I just want to fill you in. I've been waiting for her most recent check up to give a complete update. Since I last posted here, my supplements vis SNS went from sometimes 8-5 oz in 24 hrs to 5 oz to 5-3 oz to 3-2 oz to 2 oz to 1 oz to none. I stopped having to supplement with formula 2.5 weeks ago and EBF for a week and a half. Her wet diapers were good and she was seeming to be satisfied. I am convinced that taking the pressure off myself to not supplement was what helped. Coupled with a willingness to nurse from my LO due to stopping the bottles. However, her diaper count started decreasing to 4 wet diapers but the ped said it was ok. Last Saturday was low (only three heavily soaked wet diapers) I posted about this in the breast feeding you infant section b/c I was baffled since I could see her get milk and hear gulping. Then after Saturday they picked back up to 4-5 wet diapers. Now I've started work and I've been taking her with me so that's been kind of stressful for both of us. On Monday I had a hard day at work so I was pretty stressed. Yesterday was her appt. and I was really disappointed to see she had lost 4 oz. She grew and they said she looked good which was good. The Dr. wasn't worried about the weight loss they were mostly a little concerned that she hadn't doubled her birth weight . They think her weight loss has to do with all the changes she's going through. My working, she's wanting to crawl recently but is nowhere near doing it...They suggested I up her solids to 3 x's a day from twice a day and to supplement with a teaspoon of flax seed oil and cod liver oil. They didn't think I needed to supplement with EBM or formula. Anyways, I really think that this coupled with stressing out about how to manage work and her at the same time is affecting my milk supply. She's been fussy at the breast today and I don't think see as much drinking as I did in the past. Today she woke up fussy so I actually gave her 3 oz from the SNS which she drank slowly, but she was still fussy. I'm not sure what to do. This appointment made me lose confidence in my supply. Not to mention she's being fussy. Maybe a growth spurt? I was so much happier when I had no expectations. Now that I decreased the supplement my expectations increased and I wish they hadn't. I'm not sure where to go from here. I don't want stress to mess with my supply. I don't know why I'm worried about her when the Dr. isn't. Besides her recent fussiness, she has a lot of energy and is meeting milestones. Thanks for reading!

Default Re: Update-Long

aww mama it sounds like you are doing great!! i know it's hard but try not to worry too much, it does sound like she's going through a growth spurt to me, is she 2 months now? my lo didn't double his birth weight by the expected date, he's still ow in the percentiles at 1 year 20lbs, but he is over 31 inches tall and my ped says he is perfectly healthy.

you're doing great, drink lots of water, eat oatmeal, and take a nursing vacation this weekend!!
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*xerex View Post
    I don't know why I'm worried when the Dr. isn't. Besides her recent fussiness, she has a lot of energy and is meeting milestones. Thanks for reading!
    This is STILL the issue. Look at and answer the question bolded. Because in the next sentence you tell me my I'm not worried and why your doctor isn't. She has energy and is meeting milestones. And based on what you said, is exerting quite a bit of energy which burns calories.
    And you managed to get her completely off the supplements. Your story since the beginning has been one that is seemingly successful. You were overwhelmed and got some bad advice that led to supplementing in the beginning. But you got here before too much damage was done and were put on the right track. And you are now completely successful. But still......can't believe it? Why? Fussiness at the breast especially of a child who IS EBF does NOT mean there is a supply issue. Don't assume that. Don't think that.
    You can do this. You have always been able to. You need believe it.

Way too lazy for formula

I agree. It sounds like you have doctors who are very supportive of breastfeeding and probably understand it which is wonderful. You are very lucky in that aspect. If there is anything I've learned from LLL it's to trust my body to feed my child. You can do it!

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Thanks for all the encouragement. I really need it and it's already made me less worried. I know that right now lack of confidence is my worst enemy. I've learned that my milk supply is very connected to my mental state and I really have to stay mentally strong and confident.

I am so happy for you that you got baby off of the supplements. What an accomplishment that certainly gives me hope! Are you still pumping at all? If you are still unsure of your supply, you can pump after feeds to help increase your supply and to help bolster your confidence. Also, I would take fenugreek and blessed thistle 3 capsules 3 x's daily to help with your prolactin levels while you wonder about your supply. Another thing to consider, is that if you fed baby a while before baby's appointment and baby had a diaper prior to going, that will affect the weight at the appointment. If your doctor is fine, I would certainly take that as encouragement. I know it is hard though wondering why baby is so fussy. Is a new tooth coming in? Naps or nighttime sleep been not too good lately? There are all issues that can make baby fussy. If diaper output is low, that could signal baby is needing some more milk. So if that is the case, do the pumps and supplements until things get better and drink TONS of liquids. Sometimes lows will come, but you can get back on the upswing. You have been doing great! I am so glad that you came to update us here. I was wondering how things were going and so desperately wanted to know. You are one of the few here who was using the SNS. I need another pep talk how you got baby off of that and if you are still pumping. I got so worn out with pumping and haven't been doing it lately. I might need to get back to that. My baby is now almost 5 mo. How old is your little one? I think over 6 mo. since you are giving solids? I was reading some of your previous posts, could you e-mail me your consultants # at lvn_mom@yahoo.com. I never got the pm you sent on that. Also, did you get to the point where you put only bm in the SNS before baby came off of it? I am using all formula here in the SNS. It has been so hard pumping with 2 1/2 yr. old twins and a new baby - yikes!
    Last edited by @llli*twinsarefun; November 8th, 2008 at 01:26 PM.
    Mama to 2 wonderful girls (nursed 3 yrs.) and twin boys born 12/30/05 (stuck on the SNS due to pallate issues discovered very late) Thankful though that at least at the breast.

Hi Twins,
    I will send you an email with the LC's number. How are things going for you. Anymore progress?
    My LO is now a little over 6 months old.
    I think the way I got her off of the SNS was partly b/c she was used to bottles so she went from those to the SNS to nothing. I continued to pump after each feeding where I used the SNS and I would also pump twice at night after she went to sleep (about 1 hour apart). I did get to the point for about two weeks I think where I was just using EBM with the SNS. I still pump twice at night and sometimes I power pump.
    I really think continuing to pump is your best bet. Although you don't want to get worn out pumping b/c I think it's really important to be rested. Can you maybe do what I do at night when everyone has gone to sleep? Maybe just pump once? is it possible to get some help for two weeks so you can focus on pumping and getting your supply up? Please let me know how things are going. I'm sending good thoughts your way.

Thank you so much for writing back. That is the key I think like you mentioned. Pumping after each feed to get the supply up. That has been so hard for me. My twins have been keeping me so busy! How long do you pump for? I have been trying to do the tape under the nipple rather than on top. Baby doesn't like it as much. Did you use paper tape or another kind? I find it is hard to keep the tube up. How far close to nipple did you put the tape? Could baby feel the tape in the mouth? I am so happy for that you have gotten baby off of the SNS. What an accomplishment! I know that by pumping, that will be my only hope. Did you pump about 8 x's in a 24 hr. period? Thank you so much for answering my 101 questions.
    Mama to 2 wonderful girls (nursed 3 yrs.) and twin boys born 12/30/05 (stuck on the SNS due to pallate issues discovered very late) Thankful though that at least at the breast.

I usually pump for 15 minutes. I was never able to pump 8xs except for one week. I was pumping about 5-6x's and as the supplement decreased so did my pumping. Only pumped when I supplemented and twice at night.
    I think you LO doesn't like the tube under the nipple b/c he has to work harder for the milk. I also found that having the tube just barely past the nipple also makes them work harder for the milk. Thus improving the suck.
    I usually put the tape just on the where the breast meets the areola, not not on the areola. Keep me posted!

xerex,

I am so happy to hear about your success! Keep it up, you are doing great!

It is hard to have confidence after what you have been through. It can be quite a difficult journey. You know your baby and her needs. Maybe letting go of the expectations again would help. It is understandable that increasing expectations could add stress which can mess with supply. You are such an amazing mom, believe in yourself and do what you feel in your heart is right just like you have been doing.
    2001 2004 2008