Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Work Trip

Default Work Trip

I have to go on a work trip next week . I will be gone about 36 hrs total, so I will miss the second morning nursing session, the two evening nursing sessions, one overnight and two the following morning. Wow, it seems like a lot now that I write them out, but I guess that's 6 sessions and I feed only from one side each session, so 3 each boob. I stopped pumping during the day at 12 months, so my body is used to not making milk during the day.

My question is: do I need to take my pump? Am I going to be totally engorged when I get back if I don't?
    I really do not want to take it, if possible. I am traveling with all my co-workers and we are flying in, going straight to the meetings, meetings all day, hotel at night, back to meetings and then flying out. There would be time to pump (at least one other colleague is BF, too ) but I would really rather not take the pump out of storage if I can help it

Any advice?
    Clara Ann from 6/27/07 to 7/2/09

Default Re: Work Trip

Take it! It's better to have it and not use it than to need it and not have it.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

What about taking a manual hand pump? That way you have something if you need to relieve engorgement if that happens, but you aren't having to lug the big ole milking machine? I too am pump weaned and will be on a trip in December and I'm contemplating this. I can go a LONG time now without getting the full feeling so I'm thinking I wouldn't need to pump regularly.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

What kind of hand pump do you recommend? I really really really don't want to lug the big honkin' milk machine

Do you have a PISA by chance> It came with a manual pump.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

No...I have a PISO

I had always used a PISA and had gotten an inexpensive handpump. I recently went out of town for the day and took the inexpensive different brand handpump just in case. I did not try it out first and I soooo wish I had. OUCH! I was only pumping enough to relieve engorgement and even that was difficult.
    Either dig the one you are used to out of storage or if you get a handpump try it out before you go.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.