Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Using a Bottle for Weaning

Default Using a Bottle for Weaning

So, we are weaning so that I can get my AF back. We've night-weaned and are down to four nursing sessions a day. Well, yesterday she woke up from a nap very upset and I gave her a bottle of warm cow's milk. She loved it and I was able to just nurse 3 times. I did the same thing today. I don't know how I feel about using a bottle But, I feel like she's still getting the feeling of sucking and getting warm milk and I even hold her while I give it to her. I don't know it feels weird though probably because I've NEVER bottle fed her (it's always been someone else while I'm away from her). Also, I don't want her to grow attached to a bottle and then have to wean her from THAT Any advice or BTDT?

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Default Re: Using a Bottle for Weaning

I got pg with no PP AF while my DS1 was still nursing at 12mo. HTH's!!
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

So were you ovulating with no AF or did you just get pregnant the first time you ovulated again? I don't know if you would even know the answer to that... I mean, I know I could get pregnant at any time, but that would mean ovulating, so I guess I'm weaning to ovulate again

the bottle will be something you will have to wean from too, just like the breast or pacifier. if it doesn't bother you to wean again then its ok but if you are not up for weaning twice you might offer a cup. You can also use other methods to wean like snuggling or reading to delay nursing for a while.
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeannie.bean View Post
    So were you ovulating with no AF or did you just get pregnant the first time you ovulated again? I don't know if you would even know the answer to that... I mean, I know I could get pregnant at any time, but that would mean ovulating, so I guess I'm weaning to ovulate again
    Well I figure I had to ovulate to be pg. I wasn't monitoring anything, just didn't use protection. My DS weaned on his own when I was 11 weeks pregnant due to low milk supply.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Why don't you use a sippy cup instead of a bottle?
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

We do use a sippy cup when she eats meals and inbetween for water. But, when she signs to nurse and I offer her her sippy cup she usually either shakes her head or just takes a couple of sips. I think the bottle helped satisfy her wanting to nuse in a way the sippy cup can't. IDK if I'll keep using it. I have a feeling I'd regret it in the long run