Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: need some reassurance!

Default need some reassurance!

I've been back to work for a week and a half now - my DD is 3 months old. I pump 4x at work and consistently get between 8-9 ozs total. I leave my DD with my parents (so lucky!) at 7 after feeding her at 6:30. They split up the 8-9 ozs and give her 3 bottles, then I feed her again anytime between 5:30 and 6:30, depending on when she gets hungry. I estimate she feeds between 7-8 times a day - she's a great sleeper and usually only wakes up once if at all.

Does this seem like enough? She's content with my parents, and at home too - only cries when tired or hungry. I assume she's gaining weight normally, we go to the doc on Friday so I will know for sure then. She poops at least 3-4x a day and has wet diapers all the time.

I know it's not a pumping issue, I'm doing everything right (massaging, look at pics of DD, relaxed, eat oatmeal, drink tons of water) and have been successfully using my Ameda Purely Yours since a few weeks after she was born.

I guess I'm just new at this AND a worrywart - not a good combo. My gut tells me she's fine, but my niece (who is 2 1/2 weeks younger than DD) eats between 3 1/2-4 oz at a time, so I somehow feel inadequate. I've got a lot of milk stored up in the freezer, but have read not to use it to supplement what I pump so as to not affect my supply.

Thank you!

Default Re: need some reassurance!

You're doing fine Mama! A lot of babies eat 1-1.5oz per hour they are away from Mom, so your LO is on track at 9 oz, that said, its not set in stone. My LO always eats more with me and I just know that he will eat more at night so I don't sweat it. The best thing to do is count wet and poopy diapers 6 per day 1 poopy per day and her weight gain. As long as that's on track, do not worry!

As a mother there will always be things to worry about, but cross this one off your list IMHO!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    You're doing fine Mama! A lot of babies eat 1-1.5oz per hour they are away from Mom, so your LO is on track at 9 oz, that said, its not set in stone. My LO always eats more with me and I just know that he will eat more at night so I don't sweat it. The best thing to do is count wet and poopy diapers 6 per day 1 poopy per day and her weight gain. As long as that's on track, do not worry!

As a mother there will always be things to worry about, but cross this one off your list IMHO!
    sounds like you are doing a wonderful job! No need to worry about this one!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

i pump in the am around 7:30, then dd gets it around 8:30-9 (usually 4-5oz) i'm lucky enough to go home for lunch, but not at the same time she's hungry, so i pump again around 11 (same amt) she get's that one around 12:30. my mom keeps her, so she can occupy her long enough until i get home at 5 to breastfeed a hungry little monster

i love my after work feeding-it's so great to see how she looks at me and is very relaxing after a day at work

the more i'm relaxed about bf'ing, the better it is!

Good Luck
    Wife to Larry since 7-08-06, Mom to Merryn, born 7-28-08
    We're trying to while going to work, finishing school, and keeping family first

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*merryns.mom View Post
    Good Luck

Sorry...OT, but I your LO's name! You may see me on here one day with a new baby named Merryn!

And to OP. It does sound like you are doing a great job. No need to worry mama!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Thanks so much; but everyone pronounces it "mary n", not just merryn!?!
    Wife to Larry since 7-08-06, Mom to Merryn, born 7-28-08
    We're trying to while going to work, finishing school, and keeping family first