Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need tips on smaller breast shields

Default Need tips on smaller breast shields

Hi, I got a Medela Pump in Style and it comes with a 24 mm breast shield. Based on the following link I saw in related posts (http://www.ameda.com/breastpumping/most/fit.aspx), I think I need a breast shield that is smaller than the 21mm they offer as the smallest version. Any tips on finding smaller breast shields that fit the pump in style? I called Medela, but they told me to check with a local lactation consultant.

Default Re: Need tips on smaller breast shields

I am pretty sure I have seen XS Medela breastshields that were I believe 18mm. I actually saw them at BRU. Maybe just call an individual store and see what you can find?

I don't have the finding xs problem....I have the finding XL problem!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Unfortunately Medela said that they don't make anything smaller than 21 mm. I am wondering if there is any other brand that fits the pump in style and is smaller.

I have the same problem. I'm trying the 21mm shields as I type and they are way too big. I will hunt around and post if I find something suitable...please update if you have any success...I'm glad I'm not the only one with minute nipples (I never thought they were small before ).
    Cloth diaper using mummy to Eleanor Louise (born 4th Aug 2008)
    Expecting #2 on my birthday 15th March 2011.

OK....results of my hunt so far....

I have an ISIS IQ breast pump too and that has a comfort massage cushion which fits in the standard breastshield quite well and works. This is more comfy than the small personalfit breastshield. Problem is that you can't buy them separately so I only have one of those.

A search in google shows that Ameda do a similar cushioned insert that you can buy separately in 2 packs. I think I'll purchase a pair of those and see if they work with the small or standard breastshield.....I'll let you know how things go.

Breastfeeding is turning out to be very expensive as I have bought so many things to try and increase my low milk supply... Eleanor is worth it though!

I feel like I've been hearing a lot about this. How would one know if she needs bigger or smaller shields?

I've tried the Ameda flexishields..they fit into the standard personalfit medela breastshields. I found that I had to cut the end off them (its got an enclosed end with three small holes) and push the flexishields on firmly. They worked and were not painful...I'm not sure that the suction was as strong but I got the usual amount of milk out.

luvmybabies: Information of fitting breast shields is found on the medela website
    http://www.medela.co.uk/UK/breastfee...eldfitting.php