Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking Away the mid day nursing

Default Taking Away the mid day nursing

We're down to nursing in the early AM, naptime, and at bedtime. I think it's time to cut out the mid day nursing but I'm not sure how to do it. I don't want him to wean completely but as we near the 2 year mark I want to cut back to just bed time and early am. Any tips?

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

Default Re: Taking Away the mid day nursing

I can't believe X is almost 2.

(sorry to hijack!)
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Do you nurse him to sleep, or when he wakes up? Does he wake up at all during his nap?

For us, we just did something else to comfort him and relax him when it was naptime. Rocking, swaying, patting, "shh"ing. Cooper would wake up 2 or 3 times during a nap, so if he would get up, I would just pick him up and rock him, or lay next to him with his back to me and rub his back. It took just a day a few days, and he really wasnt mad about it. I think it just depends on what you are comfortable doing to comfort him besides nursing.

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

I nurse him almost to sleep, we have a no boob in the mouth asleep rule 'round here LOL. He sleeps through his nap but he gets very...angry when he doesn't get his crack *cough* i mean milk *cough*. Should I just swaddle him up and hold him through the temper tantrum? I hate doing that to him but *I* need him to cut back some, it's just time.

~Meg~
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

Is anyone else able to put him down?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I would try rocking him or something. That's what I started doing with C when we weaned for naps. He would be upset for a little bit, then he'd get over it pretty quick once he realized I wasn't budging. I just was consistant and that seemed to help. Good luck.
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number3 View Post
    Is anyone else able to put him down?
    Not during the day no, i'm the only one here aside from GOM and that's not gonna happen

Today was okay, he was ticked but he calmed down quickly. Hopefully if he takes an afternoon nap today it'll go as good.

~Meg~

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*meganbeth View Post
    Not during the day no, i'm the only one here aside from GOM and that's not gonna happen

Today was okay, he was ticked but he calmed down quickly. Hopefully if he takes an afternoon nap today it'll go as good.
    Shoot - I'd like to see him try

well honestly i think if he can go down w/o it then it's just a matter of time. Continue to do what you did today and the hysterics will get less and less.

Do you do any reading or anything 'still' before naptime?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

just snuggle and hum it's all he everwants at nap aside from milk at least lol

~Meg~

Well let me just share with you what we do now (since he's been weaned) might be soemthing worth trying... as it is IMO that part of why nursing down works is because they're still for a period of time and to be still usually helps people sleep. SO when DS was weaning we would just go to the bed and read and read - for a good 15 minutes at least and when I'd notice his feet stop moving etc I'd finish the boko and say okay we're done ... sleep time. and then I just stay with him until he falls asleep. Still works... something to consider

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson