Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Confused

Default Confused

My DD is almost 13 months, and we were BF 4x a day. Then out of no where she would start screaming, unlatch, and want her paci. I though, maybe it is teething, well now 2 weeks later she will walk over to me put my nipple in her mouth, and nip me, smile, and walk away. Is she done now? We still nurse first thing in the morning, but that is all she will do, I offer at the times we did nurse, and she will try to get back up, or will do the nip/smile thing. Ideas?

Leah 10/11/07

Default Re: Confused

Hmm, it could be teething. I know with the canines and molars it took weeks for them to come in for my dd.

Any chance you're pregnant?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Not likely, I've had an IUD in for almost 1 yr. Any suggestions to coax her back?

Leah 10/11/07

Just to keep offering and hopefully if it's teething or some other temporary phase she will come back eventually. Does she nurse at night at all? Maybe you could offer when she's sleepy. Can you see milk come out? Does she swallow when she nurses?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Paige is asking all the good questions

When she's not nursing for great lengths of time- what do your breasts feel like? What is she eating, drinking?
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

Well, its been 2 weeks, and she only feeds from the right. It has been one sided for about 1 month. I can express some, and I get fuller at night, but never engorged. She sleeps in her own room(she hated cosleeping)and she actually fights sleep until we put her in her crib, because she likes to put herself to sleep too. I offered last night while putting her to bed, I had let down because she was really close to my breast, and she still wanted nothing to do with it. She only drinks water, or water with amazing grass(a vitamin suppliment) but she eats tons of "real" food. I tried offering one evening before dinner, I knew she was starving, and she still did not want it. Oh, and she gets a good bit in the morning, she eats for a good 15 min.

Leah 10/11/07

Well it's possible she's weaning, but not likely. Usually it's between 2-3 for the natural age, and some wean around 18 months. It's probably just a nursing strike. I've BTDT after the age of 1 many times.

There is nothing that you can do about it. Feed her solids, let her have water, and offer the breast as much as you can. Don't force it. You know the drill, take warm baths, cuddle, etc. and she might pick it back up again a bit more.

The cool thing about nursing past 1 is that you don't really need to worry about your supply. If she decides to nurse more, your supply will adjust. My son went on a strike for a month. Not kidding, he was nursing 1 time a day and some days not at all. It was ALL because of teething, then he got a sinus infection. Once that was all finished he went back to nursing a lot and my supply just bounced right back in 2 days for him.

Enjoy your nursing toddler, whether you end up weaning soon or nursing some more you have given your child a wonderful start. Congrats momma.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

She just fed for her afternoon nap, so I'm happy! But her latch turns bad after a while, and she is leaving tooth marks, that are bleeding on my nipple. It hurts when she does it, but if I pull out or anything like that she gets very mad, and won't have anything do do with me for a while. Ideas on that?

Leah 10/11/07

You could try shifting her position- move her body left, right, tilt her body forward or back, tilt her head up or down until you find a position that relieves the pressure of her teeth. My dd did this too for a little while until she 'learned' how to nurse with teeth. I just had to keep trying different positions each time I nursed.

Glad she nursed today!!!
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*leahsmom1011 View Post
    She just fed for her afternoon nap, so I'm happy! But her latch turns bad after a while, and she is leaving tooth marks, that are bleeding on my nipple. It hurts when she does it, but if I pull out or anything like that she gets very mad, and won't have anything do do with me for a while. Ideas on that?
    Blob on the lanolin!!!
    It does help a lot.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09